My first 1946 Quarter

pariswalk29 (NH)

Sep 10, 2007
Derry NH
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
HI all
Just wanted to share this quick story with you. I found a 1946 quarter without taking my detector out. I was at the gas station and almost charged my gas, but was thinking, maybe I'll get some nice old change. So I paid with cash and he gave this 1946 quarter back in change. It's not in too bad of shape. Believe me, its the first old silver (nickle, dime, quarter) that I've ever gotten back in change.
Now as for this weekend, those of us in NH & New England are going to be hit by another N'Easter. So come Monday or Tuesday morning, I guess I'll just have to head to the beach and see what the surf stirs up. Stay tuned just in case I do make it there...
Bye all
Mike B

Attachments

• 1946 Quarter.jpg
    1946 Quarter.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 1946 Quarter 001.jpg
    1946 Quarter 001.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hi Mike

When its cold you have to revert to other ways of hunting... looks like you succeeded handily.

I remember a story from years back how a kid got a 1909-S VDB in change at a coin show because the dealer did not lower himself to check the change he had received from a prior customer.

I always remember that lesson!

HH

Sanat

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
Way to keep your eyes open Mike. I git one or two silver almost every year the same way. Still lots of wheatys out there to. Never any war nickels though.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Congrats on your find. I alsmost had the same results, as I was going through some rolls of dimes that I got from the bank (I was looking for dates to fill in my coin book) I found a 1949 silver dime.
It's funny you are thinking about going to the beach, I was think about going to Hamptom Beach next week myself. I got into metal detecting in October and wouldn't you know it the day after I recieved my detector it snows. :( I live in New York and travel to NH many times during the summer. I usually stay Dunes Motor Inn, Rye NH and go to Jenness Beach. I am so excited about going this year to do some MDing. Let me know if you want a partner some time to hunt its a bout a 3 hour trip for me and I would love to make it and do some detecting.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Hey that quarter is older then I am.
Nice free find.
Tenn. Joe

Top Member Reactions