My first $500 Halves box order! No silver. (Pic of Box)

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Finally got the Boxes of halves from my bank. They would only order 4 boxes at a time, so I got 4. I tore into the first one today, and NO SILVER. No proofs, no 2002+, no specials at all. Oh well, I still have 3 more to go. I'll let you know how the rest of the boxes go, and how the one box due tomorrow from another bank goes.

The boxes are different from the "$500 Halves" box I got from USBank when I got $200 in halves from them. These boxes are flat, 10x5 rolls, the other was double stacked 5x5 rolls. The boxes have little holes on the top (so you can see if Ben is hiding in there).

Yellow jackets this time.

Attachments

• TF-500HalvesYellowBox.jpg
    TF-500HalvesYellowBox.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 321
  • TF-500HalvesYellowBox1.jpg
    TF-500HalvesYellowBox1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0

craig101

May 8, 2006
these are the same boxes i get when i order by the box. comes from the fed this way.

Craig

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Jake, sorry to hear that the first box didn't yeild any silver but hopefully you will find some in the other three. I once ordered 4 boxes at one time and none of them yeilded silver.

This is the first time I have seen the yellow box. Mine are brown boxes with 2 rows stacked in 5 rolls each,
and the Brinks truck delivers them to the bank. I'm just wondering how well the yellow boxes yeild silver,has anyone gotten a lot of silver from the yellow boxes?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Wells Fargo boxes I've gotten are just like that but the yellow printing is very faint. All of them had an inspection date stamped on the top and "Before opening visually check that all 50 rolls are there" on the bottom near the holes.

OP
OP
Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
goldinmypan said:
Hey Jake -- If you turn them over are there holes on the other side so you can look for Ben there also.

Doh, no wonder I didn't find any silver, forgot to open the tubes, lol...

Anyway, I did go through the second box while watching TV tonight. Found 4 1969-Ds and 3 1967s. That's 7 40% Silver coins so far.

Immy, you mean like this? The boxes I got were stamped on the non-perforated side.

Attachments

• TF-500HalvesYellowBox2.jpg
    TF-500HalvesYellowBox2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 304

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! I wondered if that meant "inspected" for silver, but obviously it wasn't.

Congrats on the silver and good luck with the next boxes.

craig101

May 8, 2006
i think that stamp comes from the Federal Reserve bank.

so far i have received 6 boxes that look like the pics above.

my first two, i got 1 fat 40% half! i stopped ordering from that credit union as i thought it was jinxed, but i just ordered 2 more boxes there, i'm jonsing and i'll get my fix anyway i can get it. LOLOL

my next two boxes, i got 15 silver halves, i think 2-3 90% and the rest 40%.

earlier this week, i got my last two boxes like this. i got 23 silvers. 10 90% including a 1935 walker, and 13 40% halves.

you will still find silver in these boxes. i thought someone at the FED was looking thru the halves before they were wrapped, but the Minneapolis Fed changes $60 million A DAY in cash and coins!!! i don't think any one person has the time to look thru the halves.

I wish i could get a part time job there and be able to look thru the coins! LOLOL

Craig

OP
OP
Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Today did a quick search of the two other boxes, just for silver, not for special dates. Result, zip, nada, nothing. Recap:

Box 1 - nothing
Box 2 - 7 40% Kennedys
Box 3 - nothing
Box 4 - nothing

Good news (I hope), picked up 2 more boxes from another bank, this time brown cube shaped boxes, with brown on white wrapped coins.

OP
OP
Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Went through the 2 brown boxes this weekend. Found 1 40% per box, so here are the final results:

Box 1 - nothing
Box 2 - 4x1969-D and 3x1967 40% Kennedys
Box 3 - nothing
Box 4 - nothing
Box 5 - 1968 40% Kennedy
Box 6 - 1966 40% Kennedy (also a mis-struck 1972, is it worth anything?)

So, good, but not great (no 90%-ers), results for the first time ordering boxes of halves. I need to decide if these results make it worth it to order again.

This is a bit like opening baseball cards, except you can return the ones you don't want at full price. Sadly, no bubblegum.

pics of boxes 5 & 6 and mis-struck '72 below.

Attachments

• TF-BrownBoxes.jpg
    TF-BrownBoxes.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 232
  • TF-Mis-Struck72.jpg
    TF-Mis-Struck72.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 231
  • TF-Mis-Struck72Closeup.jpg
    TF-Mis-Struck72Closeup.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 236

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread