My first bag... yanked from my fingers!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Just got back from a weekend vacation, spent in a remote small town. Only a few banks, all of which I hit, all of which had no halves. One credit union, which had halves. The teller had to ask the head teller if they could sell me halves, and got the approval to do so. I asked how many they had, and she said she'd sell me the whole bag off the coin machine behind the counter, about $400 worth! I am literally salivating, and start pulling out my wallet. She brings the bag to the counter, and asks for my account number. I tell her I don't have an account, that I'm visiting from out of town, and what do you know, I'm out of luck. The only way they'd sell me the bag would be to take it out of my account. I say I'm willing to open an account then and there, and they refuse to let me open one, as I already told them I don't live there! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Never gotten a bag of halves before; this was the closest I'd ever come. Absolutely devastating!

The only silver lining was a 1950 dime out of about $50 of CWR's from the other banks, as well as an 1882 Indian Head in fair condition - possibly my oldest coin found to date.

Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the deadliest words for Coin Hunters. "What is your account number?"

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a good story.

Did you see silver in the bag??? I would have made friends at the ice cream stand, and had them by the bag for me.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a good story.

Did you see silver in the bag??? I would have made friends at the ice cream stand, and had them by the bag for me.

Boy you are more trusting in people than myself. I could see that $400 walking away real fast

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy you are more trusting in people than myself. I could see that $400 walking away real fast

Not that it would get away, but the end result would be either a civil or legal suit against myself

Why am I quoting my own posts

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't even attempt to get help at a bank I didn't have an account with. In my area you get punked quick without an account. I can't even go to my regular branch without swiping my card. Even for paper currency exchange!

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been dumping small amounts of halves at my local credit union ( i am a member) for a year or so. recently they have been asking if i have an acct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread