My First Barber.....Counterfeit or Just a Freak????

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 6yr. old son and myself spent the weekend at my brother's for his cousin's B-day party.He just moved into a new house but was still moving from the old one still.There is a field behind his house that I've hunted before and have pulled colonial button's and some pistol ball's out of.I only hunted for a 1/2 hr. until I got a good signal on the MXT........out pop's my first Barber.After cleaning it there was something that just didn't seem right.......for one it was very light and when dropped it didn't have that "silver sound",a normal sized Barber is 17.9mm,this one read's 18.6mm.,all in all it doesn't even look right.Any info on this coin would be well appreciated as I'm not much of a coin guy.Thank's and HH!!

Attachments

• 1902 Barber 001.jpg
    1902 Barber 001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,776
  • 1902 Barber 003.jpg
    1902 Barber 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 1902 Barber 010.jpg
    1902 Barber 010.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 1902 barber 019.jpg
    1902 barber 019.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 1902 Barber 016.jpg
    1902 Barber 016.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,767
  • 1902 barber 017.jpg
    1902 barber 017.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,757
Upvote 0

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
It does look awful white almost like nickle and not silver. Look carefully around the edge to see if there is a sprew mark anywhere, I know that they used to make wax molds of Silver dollars then melt actual silver dollars down and add copper to them to turn one dollar into many. The one I saw had a sprew mark that had hand filed groves on it to cover up the sprew. I also have an 1862 Indian penny that looks like its almost nickle in color and the details are real rough likes it been corroded but the date and letters on the front are still sharp, I am suspicious of and I think that it may be a counterfeit as well.

OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cedarratt said:
It does look awful white almost like nickle and not silver. Look carefully around the edge to see if there is a sprew mark anywhere, I know that they used to make wax molds of Silver dollars then melt actual silver dollars down and add copper to them to turn one dollar into many. The one I saw had a sprew mark that had hand filed groves on it to cover up the sprew. I also have an 1862 Indian penny that looks like its almost nickle in color and the details are real rough likes it been corroded but the date and letters on the front are still sharp, I am suspicious of and I think that it may be a counterfeit as well.
No visible sign of any sprew.Thank's for the info......HH!!

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
For what it is worth, the first barber I found looked more nickle than silver but it was found at a ball park & they use lots of fertilizer. I had a so so expert look at it & he confirmed that it was real. Yours looks good to me.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like aluminum, I would surely know if I touched it as I find many aluminum coins here in Germany that psych me out, LOL. It does look counterfeit and I would think it is better than finding a silver Barber dime as I have not seen a counterfeit Barber dime found ever. Interesting, unique and unusual find for sure! HH, Mike

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If counterfeit, it's interesting that they chose to utilize a smaller denomination coin. Either way, great find!

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
That is very odd looking. Hey, even if it is a counterfeit, it is a counterfeit of a barber so I'd still count it as my first. :wink: Cool either way i think.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Looks real to me. I've seen a few Barbers with that coloration. Depends on the type of soil it was found in and the cleaning technique used.

Bob

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello :hello:

I have to agree that it is real... :o I agree with Jason that it is not worn like the other one so its thicker and bigger. I agree with Skierbob that its just a coloration from the soil. :read2: Also with monkey boy maybe its been heated. I do not think it is fake or counterfeit. Again with the counterfeit thing, people have to understand. That counterfeits of the few that have been made, were porely made. Images would be off center, they look funny. Your dime looks to perfect to be a fake. Its center, the detail that is there is to nice to be a fake. Its just the way mother nature changed it. Great find !!

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a weird one there Joe

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats man,

Looks real to me. They get that heavy white oxidation on them at times. I have found them in really bad shape before. I'd have to say real for sure.

HH Jer

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first, still waiting for mine.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Newly minted it would be 17.9mm
Interesting that it's worn but larger than new. Possibly slightly squished somehow?

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it has been burned.....found my first barber like that...all white and oversized

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread