Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL, and congrats on all the great finds in 2009. :icon_thumleft:
Looking forward to an even better 2010 detecting season.

Yesterday, I pried myself out of work a few hours early since it was sunny and in the 50's here in NC. :icon_sunny:
I hit the 1850's property and finished gridding the pasture where I dug my first dated LC (1850) about a month ago. I will have to go over it again once it's cut. I wasn't into it more than 30 minutes and dug a coin. I could tell it was an IH, but it was thicker than my usual IH's. I have seen a lot of you refer to "fatty" IH's before here on TN, but I had never dug one myself.
At least until now. This sucker was caked with tough dirt and very tough to clean to get the date off of it. After a while in the tumble last night I was finally able to see the "1860" date. Ya-hoo, that makes TWO first for me out of that pasture. :thumbsup:
My only other finds were some odds & ends mostly around the yard, but I finally joined the Fatty Club. :icon_thumleft:
The brass plate & buckle were also in the pasture. The plate is off one of those old time planting devices as pictured.
I think VOL still uses one on his farm? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :laughing7: :laughing9:

The good news is, before I detected, I gained permission to detect another 1870's house right down the road where a mill used to be. :thumbsup: Looking forward to hitting that one soon.

Thanks for looking & enjoy the holidays,
MM

Attachments

• HolidayFamDoug2.JPG
    HolidayFamDoug2.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,673
  • HolidayFamDoug2.JPG
    HolidayFamDoug2.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,667
  • MVC-144S.JPG
    MVC-144S.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,667
  • MVC-145S.JPG
    MVC-145S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,658
  • MVC-147S.JPG
    MVC-147S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,665
  • MVC-148S.JPG
    MVC-148S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,660
  • MVC-146S.JPG
    MVC-146S.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,651
  • MVC-149S.JPG
    MVC-149S.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,670
  • MVC-150S.JPG
    MVC-150S.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,714
  • Owens 1.jpg
    Owens 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,666
  • Owens2.jpg
    Owens2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,611
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congradulations. Nice find. HH.....

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I'm glad you were able to cross the Fatty Indian Head off your list. You are doing very well over the past few months, Dug! :headbang:

I am not sure, but I think that shoe buckle could be 1700s. I'm still learning my buckles, so I wouldn't take credit just yet. Maybe someone will come on and assist more? :help:

Happy, Happy Holidays to you and yours, too, my bud! :icon_sunny:

Sir Kyle

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the IH!!! It cleaned up better than I thought it would from the pic you sent me ast night. The transplanter is for setting tobacco seedlings. In Tennessee, we called it a chuck-a-luck. The tank was filled with water and someone handled the transplanter while another person walked along beside it and dropped a seedling root first into the tube. The person holding the planter then pulled up on the lever while the unit was placed in the row of prepared field soil and water was discharged into the hole with the seedling. The planter handler then pulled the unit out and moved about 16 inches down the row. Don't ask how I know all this. WTG Doug and congrats-your family in the pic probably used a chuck-a-luck, or chugalugged !!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old River said:
Congradulations. Nice find. HH.....

Thanks OR. :thumbsup:

KylePA said:
I'm glad you were able to cross the Fatty Indian Head off your list. You are doing very well over the past few months, Dug! :headbang:

I am not sure, but I think that shoe buckle could be 1700s. I'm still learning my buckles, so I wouldn't take credit just yet. Maybe someone will come on and assist more? :help:

Happy, Happy Holidays to you and yours, too, my bud! :icon_sunny:

Sir Kyle

Dude,
For some reason the last two months of the year always seem to be good to me. :dontknow:
I was out there gridding thinking to myself, "come on reale, come on reale,......" ;D It was not to be YET, but I have another field I haven't even touched. I have a LOT of acreage to cover with the Mighty Tesoro.
I'm not sure about the buckle, but I think it is chrome plated brass maybe. :icon_scratch:
The oddball piece laying against the horse ring in the picture is old brass with a design but I have no clue what it was. The plow got the best of it. :'(
Have a good one Sir Kyle. Make sure Colonial Kirk leaves some milk & cookies out for Mrs. Claus. :laughing9:
-Fatty Dug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Congrats on the IH!!! It cleaned up better than I thought it would from the pic you sent me ast night. The transplanter is for setting tobacco seedlings. In Tennessee, we called it a chuck-a-luck. The tank was filled with water and someone handled the transplanter while another person walked along beside it and dropped a seedling root first into the tube. The person holding the planter then pulled up on the lever while the unit was placed in the row of prepared field soil and water was discharged into the hole with the seedling. The planter handler then pulled the unit out and moved about 16 inches down the row. Don't ask how I know all this. WTG Doug and congrats-your family in the pic probably used a chuck-a-luck, or chugalugged !!!

Q-
I knew if anyone could tell me about that planter YOU could. ;D :icon_thumleft: Thanks Buddy. When I get time I'll track down those patent #'s and see if I can get a rough idea how old it was.
That IH was tough to clean. Water, toothpick, ammonia, but still nothing. It took the tumbler to finally get it somewhat cleaned up.
I'll put it in the shadowbox that I make for the owners.
Merry Christmas Q,
Chug-a-Dug

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. Congrats on the IH. Vol does not use that on his farm. He is not used to using modern equipment. ;D

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go , MM!!! :o :o fatty1860 IH, Congrats :thumbsup: I like the tobacky planter 2 :thumbsup:Happy Holidays :icon_santa: CMD

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Nice finds. Congrats on the IH. Vol does not use that on his farm. He is not used to using modern equipment. ;D

Thanks D.
I thought that may be a bit too advanced for the old guy, but I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. :laughing7:
Just kiiding Q, go back to listening to your Victrola. :tongue3:
-D#2-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Congrats on your first fatty. ;D

Thanks Diggin. It sure made my day. :icon_thumleft:

CMDiamonddawg said:
Way to go , MM!!! :o :o fatty1860 IH, Congrats :thumbsup: I like the tobacky planter 2 :thumbsup:Happy Holidays :icon_santa: CMD

Thanks CMD. I dug it early, so even if I didn't find anything else after that I was happy. ;D
-MM-

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
Congratulations! My first and only Indian I found is a 1860!!!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry1NJ said:
Congratulations! My first and only Indian I found is a 1860!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Wow, great start Jerry. I still remember my first IH, it was an 1874. I still love digging IH's. Great design. :thumbsup:
-MM-

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the 1860 IH & fine relics and a "Merry Christmas" to you too !!

TommNJ

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the fatty, some nice finds also. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP