My first big silver!!!

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been having a huge dryspell. Been out a few times here and there and found some wheat, havent really cleaned them and organized them. I was attending a kid's birthday party where the Dad was a coin collector. We got to talking and I said that I have a unique way of getting my coins and took him out to my car, he immediatly wanted a demonstration. His house was built in 1924 and I said,"Here lets try it near your porch." I started out with a zincoln, 2 memorials, and lastly a wheat. Then I came to this signal that sounded like a coin and was reading like a wheat with a solid 14-39. I cut a plug and well there it was. One huge fork. It has a B on it and the Berkshire family built this entire development we were in during the 1920's and lived in them until the built houses in between the corner houses and rented them out after the great depression. The home owner was totally geeked out as he is a local history buff and was able to tell me all about the family. I offered him the fork and he said,"No you keep it, it was just going to be a hunk of silver in my ground until you dug it up." I was floored and totally extatic. It was hard to keep going as I had 6 children watching and wanting to see what I was doing. I do think I am going to try and make it back as I only hit the yard for MAYBE and hour. I have posted the hallmarks in a hallmark forum and if I get an answer on who made it I will let ya'll know. Last pic is in grams.
Noel
P5260006.JPG

P5260009.JPG

P5260010.JPG

P5260004.JPG

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DOMINICK & HAFF - New York
origin as William Gale & Son in 1862. Succeeded by William Gale Jr (1866), William Gale Jr & Co (1867), Dominick & Corning (1867), Gale & Corning (1869), Gale Dominick & Haff (1870), Dominick & Haff (1872). Purchased by Reed & Barton in 1928

Attachments

• D&H.jpg
    D&H.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 199
OP
OP
O

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep! Greta job!!! I thought it looked like dominick half's but the R threw me off and they didn't have the following companies listed like you did on the website I used. Thank you so much.

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "R" might refer to a pattern or could signify the piece was made during the transition to Reed & Barton.
[h=1]Pattern: RATTAIL ANTIQUE (STRL, 1890, MONOGRAMS) by DOMINICK & HAFF, Sterling [DHSRAA1] Pattern #: 1890 [/h]Description: STERLING, 1890, MONOGRAMS

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that on the buckeye board. Nice find! that's a heavy fork.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread