MY FIRST BIG SILVER!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy Mark called me this morning while I was still asleep. But I welcomed the call after coming to my senses and losing most of my morning grogginess.

First we checked out a spot that he said he has found a large cent at in the past. No luck there for either of us.

So then we checked out a bulldozed lot in a rougher neighborhood and I got the sterling ring and 1890 IH. Things are looking up...

Then on the way to a park we see a school that looks like it would have been hunted by a million others already. But, we go anyways.... Well, those who have been here in the past weren't too skilled.

I got a NICE silver hit that was showing maybe a max of 2" deep (I always dig those shallow ones to get the quarters and sterling jewelry). Dig down... 1964 memorial... hmm... that was odd...

Get up, get the same signal again. Put the probe over the top of the ground and get no signal. Hmmm, it must be deeper / bigger. Dig down about 5-6" and I see some silver that looks to have some size to it. So I yell for Mark to come over and we both take pictures with our cell phones of the edge that we can see. I honestly thought it was a silver half. The ground was virtually a solid rock, so it was tough digging. Finally dig out far enough to dig the ground out from underneath and we see BIG silver!!!! :) :) :) :)

1923 Silver Peace Dollar!

I had been complaining about never finding a large cent and telling Mark I didn't want to hear all of his large cent stories. Then after finding this he said I couldn't complain anymore. :)

I also dug 24 wheats on the day, (10 at a small 5x5 area at a park, but no silver was there???) and 2 mercury dimes (1943D, 1923).

07-05-08.JPG

07-05-08-2.JPG

07-05-08-3.JPG

Poor quality cell phone pictures of what I first saw in the hole when I yelled for Mark.

07-05-08-4.jpg

07-05-08-5.jpg

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! CONGRATS!!!! :thumbsup:

I never noticed, the word "trust" on the front of the Peace Dollar is spelt "TRVST"...

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful!! It can't get much better than that.

Keep digging!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
TreasureFiend said:
WOW!!! CONGRATS!!!! :thumbsup:

I never noticed, the word "trust" on the front of the Peace Dollar is spelt "TRVST"...

At least they didn't spell it "TRYST." Very nice find, by the way!

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'm jealous. Great finds!!! HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W!! That peace dollar sure is a beauty. Congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Congrats on all your finds. Certainly a better day than most of us had.

By the way, the word Trust is spelled with a "V" instead of the usual "U" as I believe this pertains to Latin. As additional info, the SLQ's 1916-1930 also are inscribed with the v in lieu of the u in trust. Just another useless fact!

Happy Hunting everyone!!

FL Junkman

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Now I just need to get out there and find a Morgan dollar!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Sweet finds and congrats on your big silver!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread