My First Buffalo Nickel...

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I went back to the hillside wooded area where I found all of my keepers so far this year. I'm only averaging 1 keeper per 3 hours but I'm finding coins I've never found before. That makes it worth it to me.

I tried not to mess with it much but I had to figure out which year/type/mint. It seems to be a 1913P Type 1 which was fun trying to figure out once I got home to examine it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who haven't found a first year buffalo yet so I feel pretty lucky.
Screenshot_2017-02-21-19-09-14.png
Screenshot_2017-02-21-20-59-20.png

Upvote 10

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what makes this hobby so fun I put all my silver and old coins in a plastic holder than in a display case I also write on the back where and when I found it. Glad you got a first and its a nice one Thanks for sharing it!!!!!

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Buffalo! Nice dig! I just found my first Sunday.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Metal Headz! I'm in Pittsburgh also and have yet to find a Buffalo. Hopefully this year I'll join your club.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the Buffalo! Nice dig! I just found my first Sunday.

I seen your thread earlier today when I was searching the forum for buffalo nickel finds. We seem to be off to a good start this year.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what makes this hobby so fun I put all my silver and old coins in a plastic holder than in a display case I also write on the back where and when I found it. Glad you got a first and its a nice one Thanks for sharing it!!!!!

That is a good idea. Once a collection gets big it will become hard to remember all the locations. I think there's also an app for tracking finds.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This helps me go back and see where most silver coins were found ect the older parts of town ect ect. There are also threads if you look under spread sheets that you can download from this site its pretty cool if you like that kind of thing...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Buffalo Nickel! Those don't show up too often. :icon_thumright:
I bet if you turned that avatar loose out there you could scare a few more out of the ground! :laughing7:

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first buff. Now the door is open for you to find more goodies, congrats!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Buffalo Nickel is an excellent find.
A wooden toothpick, which will not scratch the coin, can be used to remove some of that dirt. Let you coin soak in distilled water for a few hours before cleaning. Congratulations on a really nice coin.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old Buffalo nickel! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Buffalo Nickel is an excellent find.
A wooden toothpick, which will not scratch the coin, can be used to remove some of that dirt. Let you coin soak in distilled water for a few hours before cleaning. Congratulations on a really nice coin.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that next time. I realized I could've been a bit more careful after the fact. I used running water and my finger to get some of the dirt off which is rookie mistake. I plan on leaving it as is from the picture.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions