My first Buffalo Nickel!

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
A friend from our church lost a ring and was not sure where, so I poked around their yard in Fulton, NY.
Lots of foil signals (that were foil) but no ring. I did find my first buffalo nickel after 2 years of looking.
I may have found much older coins but this one has been on my wish list from the beginning.
Also found was a 1945 wheat and some assorted relics.

1916 Buffalo nickel

DSC02091.JPG
DSC02092.JPG

1945 wheat penny

DSC02093.JPG

Relics

DSC02095.JPG

The owner wanted all the finds (even the junk ??? ) so after photographing for TreasureNet I will be returning them.
but I did get permission to clean the nickel in lemon juice.

I think I will leave the nickel alone next time :-\

DSC02099.JPG
DSC02100.JPG

HH,
Donny

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buff DJ. Congrats!!! :thumbsup:
Just curious if that lantern thumb wheel has a name & date on it? I've found some before with "Climax" and late 1800's dates on them.
-Doug-

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
excellent finds :thumbsup: that buffalo is a beautie ! congrats ;D

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Nice buff. One item looks like some sort of clock or other wind-up item.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 484
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 481
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice Buffalo, congrats on the first. You'd think the guy would let you keep the finds for you helping out
though huh? :icon_scratch:
Glenn

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
They asked for everything you dug back? How Christian of them ::). Your a better man than I. I would have chucked it all back in the yard and said "Sorry for trying to help You find Your ring" with a smile on my face. That's like mowing a lawn for an elderly person and then they Demand you refill the mower with 'the gas you took from them'. ::). There is a difference between doing a good deed and being taken advantage of.....Rude poeple tick me off.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
maxmoney said:
They asked for everything you dug back? How Christian of them ::). Your a better man than I. I would have chucked it all back in the yard and said "Sorry for trying to help You find Your ring" with a smile on my face. That's like mowing a lawn for an elderly person and then they Demand you refill the mower with 'the gas you took from them'. ::). There is a difference between doing a good deed and being taken advantage of.....Rude poeple tick me off.

I probably don't know the whole story - but I agree with maxmoney. They should have let you keep the nickel at least.

Too bad you didn't leave it in the lemon juice a little longer for them!

There - I feel better now......

Anyway - NICE FINDS & congrats on your first Buff! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
kimsdad said:
maxmoney said:

I probably don't know the whole story - but I agree with maxmoney. They should have let you keep the nickel at least.

Too bad you didn't leave it in the lemon juice a little longer for them!

There - I feel better now......

Anyway - NICE FINDS & congrats on your first Buff! :thumbsup:

I am not too worried. I am just glad I got the experience and fun of digging it up. My policy is if a land owner wants any finds, its their land and their finds (unless I made a special contract with them :wink: ) I would rather be allowed to hunt a site and give up the dug finds then not dig there at all.
I do not give stuff unless they ask for it though and they rarely do. The coins just sit in a box at home anyway and I still can take good pics of them.

There will be more hunts and more coins to find that way.

HH,
Donny

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Your a good man, Donny. Congrats on your first Buff!!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great pictures of some great finds!

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
You spend your valuable time and effort, your gas money, and the use of your expensive equipment to do your "friend" the favor of looking for his ring, and then he won't even let you keep a couple of coins? >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread