My First Button!

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since Matthew passed through here yesterday the weather was fantastic today! I had to get out even if for just a few hours. Within the first 20 minutes on a new site I got a upper 70's coming from a small dirt mound. About 4 inches down..tada..my very first button! It was a silver plated flat button. Based on the size it appears to be a cuff (approximately 3/4" in diameter). Even through the dirt I could see the shiny plating that remained on the front and some green coming through on the back. I was thrilled! The pic really doesn't capture how shiny the remaining plating is. While not super shiny, it's not nearly as dull as it appears.

The site is a Rev War era. Within approximately 20 ft on the button location I started hitting iron. Based on the age of the site I was digging everything. Out of one hole I got three cut spikes, approximately 5" long. I'm gonna put them into electrolysis to save them. There's quit a bit of material remaining with only one getting a little thin (the middle one in the pic).

Any help with the age/ID of the button would be appreciated. I believe it may be a late 1700's British uniform flat cuff. The shank is brazed and there are no markings.

button1.jpg nails.jpg

Upvote 10

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding flat buttons!!! Congrats on your first, there will be many more.

HH RN

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button find! Congrats and HH

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fine hunt!

Kevin75931

Oct 9, 2016
Jasper Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spikes might be narrow gauge railroad.

Was there a sawmill anywhere in the area?

You said revolutionary war, but what were the spikes used for?

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spikes might be narrow gauge railroad.Was there a sawmill anywhere in the area? You said revolutionary war, but what were the spikes used for?

No doubt that they are large square head, cut nails (spikes). They would be used for heavier construction. They are much too small for rail spikes, even for very light narrow gauge rail. They're only 5" long and the shanks are about 3/8" thick and they have square heads.

Thanks everyone. I hope to return tomorrow for a few hours. Thankfully it's a relatively short drive for me to the site. Dunno if it'll work out. I have a few things I need to take care of thanks to the storm but hopefully it'll work!

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and recovery on the button. Love to find those buttons. This will add well to your collection.

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure how I missed your post John, your button is likely late 18th century and civilian. A bit of lemon juice will certainly help to brighten up the silver wash. Congrats on the first of many buttons
Thanks! It was from the earthwork site we talked about, hence my thoughts of maybe military. Dunno, I liked as my first (and my first hit at the site!).:laughing7:

The picture really doesn't do justice to how shiny the plating has remained. Thanks for the lemon juice tip. That's what I cleaned it with the evening I found it.

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and recovery on the button. Love to find those buttons. This will add well to your collection.
Thanks. Honestly..it begins my collection! LOL

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very happy to see people hit cool firsts! I can sense your excitement and passion and that will breed success. I started a few years ago and never dreamed I would find some of the amazing things I now have in my collection. Good luck

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very happy to see people hit cool firsts! I can sense your excitement and passion and that will breed success. I started a few years ago and never dreamed I would find some of the amazing things I now have in my collection. Good luck
Thanks very much. I have been pretty fortunate in my short time detecting. My very first find ever was a fired Enfield round. Next came the button at a different site. Both finds were the first thing I hit on their respective days. They both have indeed kept me excited for that next find! I can't wait to see what will turn up next! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread