Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Long day so I'll be brief. 12 hours in the field digging. The day started in the mid 30s, which is very cold for here. Warmed up to the mid 60s. The frost on the ground in the morning made for some slippery nasty mud later on. We didn't get ourselves on much of a site today, so we had to settle for random drops: couple musketballs, couple flat buttons, some newer GawGag coins, a beautiful gilded Colonial watch winder that Shangalang dug, and my first Capped Dime. :)

Although we seem to be in a lull on the Spanish recently, I have hopes we'll at least get one more before January, which would give us 28 for the year, and 47 total for two years of digging LA. Quite a record, and one that we likely won't ever repeat.

At any rate, enjoy the video and finds. I got some great footage of the burning off of the fields at night, which is a sight that I love to see. It means that they are clearing the ground of stubble so we can get back out in some of our old fields again.

176_0601.JPG HPIM4430-001.JPG HPIM4431-001.JPG

Here's the BEAUTIFUL watch winder dug by Shanegalang:

2013-11-30 20.38.53.jpg 2013-11-30 20.39.28.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles :hello:

Upvote 18

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer find!!! i found only one and it was a 1834, and beat up...

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats man! I know that feeling and my father really does. He went 15 years or more before digging a capped bust dime or half-dime. I had been digging them reguarly - including the year he finally found them (I had 4 already that year alone). He just could never seem to get his loop over one.

Funny enough - mine was a dropped gardner! Can you beleive it, for 15 years I had never found a dropped gardner - I found carved ones, fired ones, chewed ones, melted ones, but could never find a perfectly dropped one. We would be in camps where they were popping out and all I would dig were enfields and three ringers. (not many gardners are dug around Wilmigton NC which is where I grew up), but I finally got one and since then have found hundreds ha ha.

Dan

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds old friend..............its been along time. Keep on Digging!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats man! I know that feeling and my father really does. He went 15 years or more before digging a capped bust dime or half-dime. I had been digging them reguarly - including the year he finally found them (I had 4 already that year alone). He just could never seem to get his loop over one.

Funny enough - mine was a dropped gardner! Can you beleive it, for 15 years I had never found a dropped gardner - I found carved ones, fired ones, chewed ones, melted ones, but could never find a perfectly dropped one. We would be in camps where they were popping out and all I would dig were enfields and three ringers. (not many gardners are dug around Wilmigton NC which is where I grew up), but I finally got one and since then have found hundreds ha ha.

Dan

Great story there! Yeah, it took me 20 years to find my first capped coin, then I dug the second one less than a year later (both half dimes). This is the first dime for me. Now if I could just find that barber quarter... :D Still waiting for that one, but not holding my breath much. :D

Cheers,

Buck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: What a great day. I thought you had your silver in that perma frost clump. Fun hunt and vid. Interesting to see them burn the cane. Bet it makes easier swinging.
Thanks for sharing you guys and Shanegalang had the find in that watch winder!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the capped dime, buckle! It's an awesome thing! You know I haven't been detecting long and found my first capped quarter a couple months ago. We'll probably never find one again...or hopefully the opposite and they'll start rolling in! lol

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! Congrats on your Capped Dime and recent finds!! I know you guys were chilly, it actually got down to 27 on the west side of the River!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation's there BB,knowing you it won't be long before your next :thumbsup:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that 1912 is in great shape! Wonder if it is a Denver coin or Philly...
Wow buddy, I never thought to look! It's a Denver :) Had to look in my Red Book to find out where it is located.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Dan
I am still trying to find my first silver ANYTHING with a 19 before the last two numerals.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first Capped dime BB!! Shane did get an ornate Colonial watch winder. Unless they have hunted there in LA, Tnet members have no idea how fatiguing 12 hours can be in those cane rows even in the winter. HH, Q.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the capped dime, buckle! It's an awesome thing! You know I haven't been detecting long and found my first capped quarter a couple months ago. We'll probably never find one again...or hopefully the opposite and they'll start rolling in! lol

You know, that is one of very FEW capped quarters I've ever seen posted on this forum. I think I've seen more bust halves than quarters. Not sure why, but I do know that supply did not keep pace with demand for those coins, and even 2 Reales could not keep up in the early 1800s. For certain on the frontier of this country during that time there were few of those coins in circulation. In LA they cut 8 Reales and stamped them as emergency coinage (which is what I found an example of--my last banner find). So a BIG congrats on that Capped Quarter. Few will ever find a coin like that.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow buddy, I never thought to look! It's a Denver :) Had to look in my Red Book to find out where it is located.

Now THAT's cool! NOT a common coin to dig. Guess I should've traded! :D Are you CERTAIN it's a D and not an S? San Francisco would be GREAT to dig! Key coin!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Capped dime BB!! Shane did get an ornate Colonial watch winder. Unless they have hunted there in LA, Tnet members have no idea how fatiguing 12 hours can be in those cane rows even in the winter. HH, Q.

Quindy,

Your signature line is perfect. And TRUE! Thanks for the reply, my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread