My first Civil War button and a piece of 8?

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I was happy as could be to find my first Civil war bullet. Not sure of the exact one but looks to be a script Infantry button. Also I believe this is a piece of 8. If so that would also be a first. I have been use to finding War of 1812 and Revolutionary war items and I believe all the items are actually civil war. Also got lucky with a bunch of other buttons and two Hibernia's, one is the oldest I have found. Is this a Gardner Bullet, and any possibility of finding the age of the piece of 8?

Attachments

• IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3440.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3439.JPG
    IMG_3439.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3433.JPG
    IMG_3433.JPG
    749.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3431.JPG
    IMG_3431.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3436.JPG
    IMG_3436.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 9
OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Wow, thanks for all the information. I would have never been able to figure the cob out. I guess that breaks my Hibernia as being my oldest coin. I still cannot put the civil war button down. In the few years I have been hunting the only military buttons I have found are from the revolutionary and war of 1812. Any idea on the shoe buckle looking thing. It is really thin, made of copper with a silver guild to it. My friend found a small button with a bugle and an "I" on it that trip also.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is all from one site, you are on a heck of a spot. If from several spots, I even more jealous!! Congrats on some great finds! Have you posted those Rev War and War of 1812 finds? If so, I must have missed them, but would love to see them!

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
If that is all from one site, you are on a heck of a spot. If from several spots, I even more jealous!! Congrats on some great finds! Have you posted those Rev War and War of 1812 finds? If so, I must have missed them, but would love to see them!

Hello, yes all from same spot. I posted most of the war of 1812 items on the what is it page a couple could not be identified. One is a pewter button with a script I on it and one is one that looks like a war of 1812 artillery button but the cannon balls and cannon are facing to the left. I will attach them, let me know if you know what those two are. I only ever found a couple king George coins before and this site I think I am up to 9 or so. I can understand why some turn out so nice and others turn out completely or mostly blank. The ones photographed are the latest ones I found at this site.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 58

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, yes all from same spot. I posted most of the war of 1812 items on the what is it page a couple could not be identified. One is a pewter button with a script I on it and one is one that looks like a war of 1812 artillery button but the cannon balls and cannon are facing to the left. I will attach them, let me know if you know what those two are. I only ever found a couple king George coins before and this site I think I am up to 9 or so. I can understand why some turn out so nice and others turn out completely or mostly blank. The ones photographed are the latest ones I found at this site.

Very nice! I love the one piece War of 1812 era buttons! I have found the Script A (3rd Regt artillery) and the pewter Script I infantry here in SW PA. I'm still looking for the others, particularly the Artillery Corps button. Good luck on your return trips to this site!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I think you might have taken that wrong.
I wasn't doubting or questioning that it was real or not. As a matter of fact, I was stating that I felt it was definitely "real"
Sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread