Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don, Wayne and Stan, for all the information and right advice. I hope everyone recovers successfully from my microscopic photos. I had a lot of fun discussing my first cob and I know not my last. I wanted to originally clean the coin, but who am I to remove 315 years of beautiful patina. It looks old. Thanks again, Arty

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
Arty,
You are more than welcome. The Spanish Cobs thread on TNet really thrives on identifying cobs...and a vast body of knowledge resides here. It is always exciting to us to identify these old coins. Finding a cob is a very special event...I hunted specifically for cobs for about a year before finding my first one. Like you said...finding a coin that is 300 to 400 years old is very exciting. C'mon down to Florida to hunt the historical beach sites! It is very addictive and a lot of fun to hunt for the really old, historical stuff.

Wayne

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
artyfacts said:
gwdigger said:
I wouldnt clean it. I like them just as found.
Thanks gwdigger, I have elected not to clean my cob and leave it as is. I was thrilled the day it fell out of my digger like someone picked it out and positioned it when it fell so that the cross was on the perfect angle, I will never forget our first meeting. I have had the pleasure of finding and digging up a early tavern site with cannon balls to Indian tinklers and artifacts from three wars. I will be donating over 400 of these artifacts along with my wonderful cob to our local museum but mums the word to its location, I have more cobs to fry.... Arty

When I first started detecting I cleaned everything. Never was I happy afterwards. The color of purple silver and olive copper may be an acquired taste.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwdigger said:
artyfacts said:
gwdigger said:
Thanks gwdigger, I have elected not to clean my cob and leave it as is. I was thrilled the day it fell out of my digger like someone picked it out and positioned it when it fell so that the cross was on the perfect angle, I will never forget our first meeting. I have had the pleasure of finding and digging up a early tavern site with cannon balls to Indian tinklers and artifacts from three wars. I will be donating over 400 of these artifacts along with my wonderful cob to our local museum but mums the word to its location, I have more cobs to fry.... Arty

When I first started detecting I cleaned everything. Never was I happy afterwards. The color of purple silver and olive copper may be an acquired taste.

What turned your silver purple? I have cleaned a few silver that had moderate issues and all are much better than they were. Tombac is the metal I have yet to figure out a good method to clean, and one that won't turn the metal purple of blue. I think the cob above is a very good candidate for cleaning and if mine I probably would.... but I'd never make that call unless I was able to see it in person.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
gwdigger said:
artyfacts said:
gwdigger said:

What turned your silver purple? I have cleaned a few silver that had moderate issues and all are much better than they were. Tombac is the metal I have yet to figure out a good method to clean, and one that won't turn the metal purple of blue. I think the cob above is a very good candidate for cleaning and if mine I probably would.... but I'd never make that call unless I was able to see it in person.

I like the way they come out of the ground. I no longer clean anything except maybe coppers and buttons with a copper bristled brush. Your handful of coins with the cobs looks good as is. Personally, I wouldnt touch that purple cob.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwdigger said:
Iron Patch said:
gwdigger said:
artyfacts said:
gwdigger said:

I like the way they come out of the ground. I no longer clean anything except maybe coppers and buttons with a copper bristled brush. Your handful of coins with the cobs looks good as is. Personally, I wouldnt touch that purple cob.

I don't unless I have to, and I rarely have to. In my picture the bottom 1 real to the left was cleaned, but you'd never know it even looking in person. (compared to my others) But as I said my cleaned ones only had moderate issues, nothing like the one above.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
gwdigger said:
Iron Patch said:
gwdigger said:
artyfacts said:
gwdigger said:

I don't unless I have to, and I rarely have to. In my picture the bottom 1 real to the left was cleaned, but you'd never know it even looking in person. (compared to my others) But as I said my cleaned ones only had moderate issues, nothing like the one above.
Maybe your better at cleaning than me. I havent tried in a long, long time. Most of those coins have retoned nicely now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread