My First Cob

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
John...
That is a great find..I am amazed at the detail....
I believe that it is a very early cob, about 1613 - 1616. I think it is from the Potosi, Bolivia mint. Wish I could make out the letter below the "P" to the left of the shield. The mintmark "P" is either Potosi or Peru, since Potosi was part of the viceroyalty of Peru. If the letter below the "P" is a "Q" the assayer was Agustin de la Quadra...1613 - 1616. If that letter is a "D" then it is possibly from Peru and the assayer is Diego de la Torre, 1577-1588. He was known for the high quality of his coinage. My resources are very limited...but I'm sure it will be identified by Stan or Don. When you can get it weighed we can tell you the likely denomination of the coin and the authenticity. :icon_thumleft:

Wayne

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
I think it is likely a 2 reale...5.77 seems a bit underweight, but a coin in the ground that long ago could likely weigh less. The ideal weight for a 2 reale is about 6.76 grams.

Wayne

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
The tone and weight lead me to believe it is a non-silver replica. What kind of soil environment did you find it in?

Stan

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DiveWrecks said:
The tone and weight lead me to believe it is a non-silver replica. What kind of soil environment did you find it in?

Stan

The soil was very dry, almost powdery dry, yet very compacted and hard to dig in. How can I determine if it is silver?

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
First, check to see if it sticks to a magnet. If it does, it isn't silver. If it doesn't, further testing is needed. Nitric acid is usually used to test for silver. A google search should give information on testing for silver in coins. Of course, I would be hesitant to use acid on it. Maybe calculating the coin's specific gravity would work. Specific gravity is the ratio between the weight of the coin in water and its weight in air. The specific gravity of silver is 10.49. Copper based sterling silver has a specific gravity of 10.36.

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's on the"What is it " forum, I was told to bring it here because not all of the Cob Meisters go to the what is it forum and they would have a better idea of what it was, so thats what I did.

LittleJohn

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
LittleJohn said:
No it does not stick to a magnet, I just tried 3 different magnets. :headbang:

How about chewing gum?

I remember collecting coins as a teen when working fast food. I could tell silver from clad whenever a coin hit the counter. Does yours sound like silver? :tongue3:

Stan

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
LittleJohn said:
It sounds like silver to me... :laughing7:
not trying to dampen you spirits, but, there are a number of "coincidences" that are tip-offs to a remake:
#1 different weight
#2 excellent condition for a coin of that age
#3 has not been asked but I will ask, how deep down in the ground was it?

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one was 7 1/2 inches down in the edge of a farmers field. I would like to know how it got there....if it is a modern fake, as has been stated. I am sure there are a million possible explanations...but I would like to know how it got there....that deep...where I found it. I almost didn't dig it because of the faint signal, but it was very repeatable....even when I discriminated....so I started diggin........and very glad I did.

However this all turns out...it is a treasure to me. Priceless!

LittleJohn

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
LittleJohn said:
This one was 7 1/2 inches down in the edge of a farmers field. I would like to know how it got there....if it is a modern fake, as has been stated. I am sure there are a million possible explanations...but I would like to know how it got there....that deep...where I found it. I almost didn't dig it because of the faint signal, but it was very repeatable....even when I discriminated....so I started diggin........and very glad I did.

However this all turns out...it is a treasure to me. Priceless!

LittleJohn
Very true, also, sence it is next to a farm feild that area could've been plowed at some point and pushed the coin deeper into the ground. (?)

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
LittleJohn,

Check the following website to see if it is silver:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4472113_check-silver-authenticity.html

I am accustomed to beach and water finds...I really can't tell you if that is authentic or not. Stan brought up a very good point about the tone of the coin....that bothered me too, but I haven't dug an authentic cob in soil before. My finds have been in a very different environment...Florida beach sand and saltwater. If you pursue testing this coin....let us know if it is silver or not. If it is authentic, don't clean it immediately...consult TNet...I have destroyed the patina on several cobs by doing "quick and dirty" methods in the past...I certainly would not want you to make that mistake.

Wayne

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a expert on cobs yet. Almost all the older silver that I have dug, comes out of the ground black. Arty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread