My first Cob

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my favorite farm to do some bow hunting and decided to bring along the detector. After milling around and not finding anything I started heading toward the car to put my detector away. About 4 feet away from my car I find this.

043-1.jpg

045.jpg

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Probably my whole life. The farm has been there since the late 1800's so who knows what my pop up.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
:icon_thumleft: Nice find,You should definitely search the area again when you find the time. Im still looking for my first cob *sigh*, One day i`ll find it,ONE DAY.................lol. :icon_thumright:

Happy Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great find!!
These eyes see '71' as part of the date, as in 171X; and the curve of the "P" next to the left pillar. So its an 8-reales (now guessing) dated 171X from Potosi; Diego de Ybarbouru, assayer (I can't see the "Y").
Don.....

U

umrgolf

Mackaydon said:
Great find!!
These eyes see '71' as part of the date, as in 171X; and the curve of the "P" next to the left pillar. So its an 8-reales (now guessing) dated 171X from Potosi; Diego de Ybarbouru, assayer (I can't see the "Y").
Don.....

could that 71 be part of 1671?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty rare thing to do digging a large cob like that on land. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wonder what else could be out there. This would actually be my first silver/first cob. I've got to really go over this place now. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Great find!!
Don.....

On the reverse theres an "N" on the left side of the cross. What could that possibly mean. I'm growing more and more interested now. Never thought I would ever find something like this.

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing is I see a 2 at the end so maybe 1712. I can personally see 17?2. Gonna see if I can look at it under a magnifier. At the top of the pillars those crest like doohickies are scrolled so I think its a Royal Cob ??? Wonder whats the best thing to do with it? :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stringplucker said:
Wonder whats the best thing to do with it? :dontknow:

I don't think there are too many options for coins, they won't catch fish, or hit a baseball ;D .... so you might just have to put it in a coin holder, stash it away, and take it out every once in a while to enjoy and maybe remind yourself good things happen to those who keep digging. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
NECK COIN ON A CHAIN

An 8 reale cob? I think you'd have to be a pretty big dude to pull that one off, at least in my eyes.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
like this one ? of mine -- of course its not a cob but a milled one. -- 8 reale -- yes I am BIG at 6 foot 1 and size 5 xxxxx shirt (450 lbs)

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 913
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 906
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 910
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 914

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
like this one ? of mine -- of course its not a cob but a milled one. -- 8 reale -- yes I am BIG at 6 foot 1 and size 5 xxxxx shirt (450 lbs)

I just replied to the other thread the same time you were writing here.

I just picture a 120 lb guy wearing this big chain with an 8 reale cob. ;D That said, I had a thick gold chain myself, and still wear a very large watch and don't care what anyone thinks. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really into jewelry so the necklace idea wouldn't happen, lol. As far as an 8 pt buck..... I saw one prancing around in the field but he knew better then to get close enough to me. I'm deadly accurate with my bow, if I could just keep from nodding off in the tree stand. :P

Pistareen

Greenie
Jul 29, 2010
It looks like Charles II, Eight Reales of Potosi dated 167x with the last digit missing. The assayer would probably be "E." It has two denominations showing, a two digit date, and distinctive pillar tops and was in or very near a fire. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread