SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I snuck out for a 2 hour session and left my work phone in the car. Yes I have spring fever like nobodies business.

This week I've been POUNDING an old soy bean field and learning the Equinox 600. My bucket list is simple...I wanted to dig a colonial copper. Well today that finally happened. I was in an iron heavy area and thought I heard a high tone but there was no evident high EDI number displaying. I narrowed down the area and dug a 12" plug. I got no signal from my pinpointer, so I re-scanned...the signal was still there but now hitting in the high 20's and even creeping into the low 30's here and there. Another plug was pulled from the existing hole, and this hit the grass right next to my knee. Yes it's ugly, and I may never figure out exactly what it is, but it's a colonial copper. You can clearly make out the "17XX" but not the last two digits of the year. I might even celebrate with a few Miller High Lifes this evening.

IMG_0695.jpg IMG_0696.jpg

Upvote 23

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go! That there is a very colonial copper.

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May it be the first of many! Congratulations!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Colonial Copper !

If you measure the diameter of the coin it could help to tell if it's a Large Cent, King George, etc.

Good Luck !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ugly or not, well done on getting it done. It's always a challenge to see what it could be when they're soil burnt so bad.

5A468C4C-DE07-4540-A9B0-4C813DAA9297_4_5005_c.jpeg

Might be a case of pareidolia happening here, but along the rim above the red line could that be the letter "U"? Not knowing the early coinage of the State coppers-I'm wondering if it might help ID the copper.
The first enlargement of your photo seems to highlight what I'm trying to show.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations. Those coppers are so often heartbreakers... too toasted to identify, so one can only speculate. I’m sure that you will follow up with more.
dts

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first and in the High Life theme, here's to many more! Best of luck!!

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes ugly is so beautiful! Congrats on a great find! Cheers...:occasion14:

OP
OP
S

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With some careful cleaning (I took a risk with the hydrogen peroxide soak followed by a light coat of Vaseline) and was abe to ID this!!

It's a 17XX KGIII Hibernia. George's right facing bust along with the letters I'm able to make out, plus the lines from the harp on the reverse helped me with this. I believe this was an Irish issued half penny. I'm very happy-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread