Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Forum,

I found my first Crotal Bell today! To bad it is broken. Can anyone help me to identify it's age or origin from the markings? From what I've read these could have been on sheep, or a sleigh. Could this be a #3 bell? I wish I could have it fixed, but it's probably not worth it :-(

Thanks for looking!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Upvote 8

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I find myself jealous. Going digging tomorrow, however.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bells are pretty cool finds, my grandmother kept bells on one of my uncles when he was small so they would know where he was. He quickly figured out why they had them on him and he would find a way to quieten them. congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours is a proper Crotal Bell not sleigh bell type & like you say the smaller ones went on sheep or goats. Can't make out the makers mark, so late 18th C-early 19th C.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Crotal Bell. My personal opinion is that if it were mine, I would not have it fixed. It would probably cost you more money than the bell is worth. I also like to remember my finds as they come out of the ground. If you are just getting into the hobby, then be patient and you will find more, and probably whole, undamaged ones. I have 42 of them in my display case, and 36 are complete bells. Only 6 have some sort of damage. A lot depends on where you hunt also. The odds are in your favor of finding them without damage, if you continue in this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread