My first dime box experience!!!

Coindango

Mar 23, 2011
Well, kind of a long story but I've been a roll searcher for a while, normally just pennies. I separate for the copper and pull out the wheaties and anything else interesting such as my au 1863 Baden 1/2 kreuzer coin I found a few months ago- and I've been a lurker on all the coin forums for awhile, this is my first post in a forum ever. So the other night i was reading the coin roll hunting forums and decided I would try a box of quarters- skunked, so then I tried 2 boxes of nickels- skunked! $100 in halves- skunked! So, I told myself I wouldn't try for silver anymore (I know I gave up without much of a fight) because the penny boxes yield a lot of wheaties and each one feels like a little score. So now on to my dime story- after reading some posts the other night about cwr's and dime searching it seemed like people were having better luck with dimes, most posters say 1silver every couple boxes on average so I thought I would try my luck and I'm so glad I did! I went to one of the banks on my regular route and they told menthey didn't have enough on hand so no luck there- then I went the 2nd bank on my route, now this is the first time I've ever asked for cwr's and the teller says he has two rolls of dimes and 6 rolls of pennies (cwr) he then says and I quote " I put this roll of dimes to the side because I noticed some old ones in there" so I told him "sure I will take whatever you got and a box of dimes!" as he went to the vault to get the box of dimes I dumped that cwr in my hand and whaddya know,50 mercs-some of them in ms!
I was trying not to smile as I walked out of the bank with my box of dimes and my roll of mercs, when I got home I sliced open the box of dimes and I couldn't believe my eyes I wish I would have got a picture! I could see at least 1 silver in each roll of the top of that box! I ended up getting 59 roosevelt dimes from the box plus 50 mercs in that roll all in one bank. Needless to say I was hooked, but I can see that it was a fluke because I've searched 6 boxes since, 1 from that same bank and I have only found 1 silver since. I was bummed after searching my second box but now I just consider myself lucky for having been in the right place at the right time on my first dime hunting adventure!

Upvote 0

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Well done! That beats my best dime box score of 52. My best Merc score was two in one day, so a solid roll is one shot is awesome!!

Definitely not typical results, but enough to feed the habit.

HH,
cuttybce

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was some great finds. Sounds like a super box.....Matt

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
or are you posting your dimer collection?

either way nice... :icon_thumright:

but i don't remember ever reading about a better dime box then that lol...

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, you are now hooked beyond all belief. Just wait until you start doing Half Dollar boxes and find things like 90% Silver 1964s. Each 90% Half is like 5 Silver Dimes, and each 40% Half is slightly above 2 Silver Dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread