Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obtained permission to hunt a private property which has a house on it from ca. 1890. Did a random walk yesterday and only found a 1934 Merc and 1957-D Rosie both part of pocket spills containg multiple wheats. I also found some horse tack: a buckle and a ring as well as an interesting carved lead item which I think was some sort of weight and an cool brass relic that I thought was cabinet hardware (yet to post these). Oh, and the only period coin was an 1864 IH cent. I was convinced the front yard had been filled.

Went back this afternoon for a quick 2 hr. hunt and decided to grid a smaller area. I got a nice silver signal that turned out to be a 1930 Merc. Second good signal was a bit odd...shallow (4") but hit with a sweet sound on my Explorer SE Pro. Low and behold out pops a nice large copper. I couldn't tell what it was, so put it in my pouch and continued. Next good hit turned out to be a very large copper token by Hyvis Motor Oil....a little smaller than a half dollar! Then another Merc (1941) and finally just before I left a beautiful button about the size of a dime with a floral motif and full shank. Backmark says "Rich Gold Color".

I was very anxious to find out what the copper coin was as I had a feeling it was something good. On rinsing it with dish soap and water I could see a right-facing female bust--turns out is my first Draped Bust Cent (looks to be 1800), a bit worn, but I can clearly see the bust and wreath! This was a first for me so it was quite exciting...I have found older coins in this country, but this is my oldest American coin! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Draped Bust Cent 1800 (obverse)064.jpg
    Draped Bust Cent 1800 (obverse)064.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Draped Bust Cent 1800 (reverse)065.jpg
    Draped Bust Cent 1800 (reverse)065.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Hyvis Motor Oil Token (obverse)066.jpg
    Hyvis Motor Oil Token (obverse)066.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Hyvis Motor Oil Token (reverse)067.jpg
    Hyvis Motor Oil Token (reverse)067.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Button068.jpg
    Button068.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Button guys, the button is much nicer in person than the scan makes it out to be...same with the token. I rubbed a light coat of bee's wax on it and the coin, but I don't feel as though I have mastered the technique. The bee's wax I have is pretty thick....is there a way to soften it while keeping it natural?

OK, so regarding the button, would you attempt a further cleaning with aluminum jelly? Please advise.

For the experts on restoring copper, the Draped Bust cent has had a few baths in boiling peroxide and cleaned with a soft toothbrush with liquid dish soap. Then I coated it with a light coat of bee's wax to try and bring out some detail. Any tips on better cleaning techniques?

Thanks.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well for the Draped it would get slabbed as improp. clean anyway.. As far as restoring it I could not tell you. My attempts at restoring common wheats failed with a ugly bright copper color.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
silverfreak said:
SWEET dig brother
occasion14.gif

That is AWESOME
headbang.gif

Thanks Bryce! It was a bit of a surprise digging this one, and one dig I will remember!

hotrod said:
nice finds

Thanks hotrod! I have pulled a few interesting things from this site so far. I'll post more here and on the "What Is It?" page.

MrShulz said:
Well for the Draped it would get slabbed as improp. clean anyway.. As far as restoring it I could not tell you. My attempts at restoring common wheats failed with a ugly bright copper color.

I'll keep working on it with some of the experts here to see if I can reveal a little more detail.

FoundInNC said:
Sweet Draped Bust Cent! Great detail, I say 1800 as well.

Thanks FoundinNC! I was a real treat for me to find a Draped Bust around my area...typically the Large Cents when found around here tend to be the later ones. I appreciate your kind words.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Great find!!! Don't over toast it in peroxide :-) An olive oil bath (one week) helped an 1857 Flying Eagle I found. You can try that. But then I think you're cleaning attempts end there.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Grant! I've never had much luck with olive oil...soaked a few IH cents in some for over a year--the oil turned greenish, but there was still a fair amount of crud on them, though that was before I began using boiling peroxide. I'm curious as to what affect apple cider vinegar for a few hours would have on coins like this. Any input from anyone? I have a terribly crusted 1864 IH cent that I may try dropping in vinegar to see how it fares. Vinegar did wonders on that Livery Button w/ Griffin that I found in England. I thought it was toasted, but it revealed almost all the detail on the front and back!

Congrats! Great find!!! Don't over toast it in peroxide :-) An olive oil bath (one week) helped an 1857 Flying Eagle I found. You can try that. But then I think you're cleaning attempts end there.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy cow them be dang good finds like the draped it be purrrty

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to what affect apple cider vinegar for a few hours would have on coins like this. Any input from anyone? I have a terribly crusted 1864 IH cent that I may try dropping in vinegar to see how it fares. Vinegar did wonders on that Livery Button w/ Griffin that I found in England. I thought it was toasted, but it revealed almost all the detail on the front and back!

I've often wondered that too. I'd say go for it with your IH if it's shot anyway! I've also thought about putting a coin in the dishwasher to see what that would do... I just don't have anything of the era worth sacrificing right now. I have some buttons that I'm wanting to bring out the detail on as well, but nervous of the outcome.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the electromechanical pinball collector's world I have also see (and done) some amazing things with a vibratory tumbler, crushed walnut shells, and a product called Flitz. This technique can be used to polish corroded and rusted items almost back to their original state. I have done this with common pocket-change quarters for a few days and they almost look like they came from a proof or uncirculated set (minus the original scratches) when you are done. I have never seen this technique discussed here. I know we don't want to polish the items we find to a high-gloss, but it may work well on buttons/crusty coins if they are not kept in the vibratory tumbler for too long.

I've often wondered that too. I'd say go for it with your IH if it's shot anyway! I've also thought about putting a coin in the dishwasher to see what that would do... I just don't have anything of the era worth sacrificing right now. I have some buttons that I'm wanting to bring out the detail on as well, but nervous of the outcome.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flitz, eh? I'll look into it. Cool.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a guy on eBay selling it...I found that to be a handy source. I'll see if I can still find it and post a link. The vibratory tumbers are relatively inexpensive. And the crushed walnut shells you should be able to buy at Petco or similar.

Flitz, eh? I'll look into it. Cool.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I say that the Draped Bust is as good as she is going to get. My opinion is, no more cleaning. There is probably no more detail to be had. Awsome find!!

VPR

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks VPR! Coming from you, with the kind of finds you make, that means a lot to me. Appreciate the kind words and I'll heed your advice on no more cleaning. It feels good having finally found a Draped Bust coin and I have to say that I think the obverse of the Draped Bust was among the prettiest US coins minted, if not the prettiest.

I say that the Draped Bust is as good as she is going to get. My opinion is, no more cleaning. There is probably no more detail to be had. Awsome find!!

VPR

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way To Go Erik! Killer Finds, The Draped Bust Is Awesome! Can't wait to see what you find next! Keep It Up! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the kind words Dave! I knew it was something interesting, but when I found it I couldn't see any detail through the dirt and I didn't want to rub the "coin." I put it in my pouch, but I have to admit it wasn't easy continuing to detect as I wanted to drive back home to see what it was. Glad though I kept detecting as a couple other nice finds came after this copper.
Way To Go Erik! Killer Finds, The Draped Bust Is Awesome! Can't wait to see what you find next! Keep It Up! :icon_thumright:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a guy on eBay selling it...I found that to be a handy source. I'll see if I can still find it and post a link. The vibratory tumbers are relatively inexpensive. And the crushed walnut shells you should be able to buy at Petco or similar.

Amazon has it too. I find plenty of toasted and corroded crap to test it on :-)

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik, did you use the liquid or paste form of Flitz?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread