My first drill.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Got out today for a short 2 hour creek walk....I have to work tonight so I could spend the whole day. Found this nice piece in the first five minutes of the hunt. The flaking isn't very distinct but it has a ridge down both sides, the wide end is thinned really nice and there may have been some slight grinding on the sides. The drill is slightly translucent and the very tip of the business end is missing. Still one of my favorite pieces to date.

Attachments

• Drill 1.jpg
    Drill 1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 348
  • drill 2.jpg
    drill 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 347
  • drill 3.jpg
    drill 3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 351
  • drill 4.jpg
    drill 4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Re: My first drill....or punch?

Great looking tool....I haven't found very many myself,so it is always a thrill.Congrats :hello2:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice drill. congrats.

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri

When I first saw it I thought the base was broken off but after I got it in hand I could tell that it had been thinned to the base. I'm amazed it survived the tumbling that creek gave it with only a missing tip and a few nicks.

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009

Nice early hunt find. You speant the time to find it. It's a bummer when the rest of the day doen't pan out but that makes the day worth while.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

That larger white piece of material to the left of the drill looks worked possibly, did you flip that guy over?

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri

Actually no I didn't....was my first time in this creek and it was chock full of white chert. I was practically snowblind in the first 10 minutes....there was literally that much stuff to look at. I need to go back when I have more time. I'm used to creeks that are full of brown creek gravel and limestone...the white/pink cherts really stand out in those creeks and when you spot something that color it's often an artifact. Today's creek though was the opposite and so much of it was sharp at the edges but not obviously knapped.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find Archer. They are rare to find not broke. Amazing how they could work something down that small and fragile. I wonder how far it traveled from the site?
HH
TnMtns

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't see that being a drill, more like a clothes pin. nice find.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread