My First Ever Half-Cent? (Might Need Some Help on This One...)

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sup fellas! Help me out?

I've probably dug close to 20 large cents, but never a half cent. Then today, about 14 inches down, this pops out:

SIDE ONE:

side1.jpg

SIDE TWO:

side2.jpg

Here's a size comparison, with the largie I found a few days ago. Is it about the right size for a half-cent?

comparison.jpg

Anyway, I know it's toasted pretty bad. But if ANYONE sees ANYTHING to confirm my first half-cent, I'd be happy just to know I found one. :icon_thumright:

Thanks, and HH!

Upvote 8

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Large Cent and the Half-Cent are on my bucket list...!
Here's hoping you found what you're looking for...!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s toasty. Could be half cent could be farthing who knows. Ive got a box full of toasted coppers . It sucks most don’t hold up well over the centuries . Still fun though.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough call. It could be a token of some sorts also. Try doing a pencil drawing with it and see if you can pull any details that way.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’d gently sand blast her, then apply a light coat of nose grease....

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find...what detector do you use to get down to 14 inches ? I use a DFX white and cant imagine digging that deep for a coin !

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find...what detector do you use to get down to 14 inches ? I use a DFX white and cant imagine digging that deep for a coin !

Equinox 800. Yesterday I was going low and slow, practically dragging my coil along the flat grass. I heard a deep squeak. The kind where you activate the pinpointer and it does that thing where it makes the volume really low for a few seconds, to let you know it's way down there.

I've hit this field for years with my AT-PRO and found some good stuff, but it wasn't until I got the Nox that I started pulling the older stuff. My first three barbers (2 dimes and a quarter), three large cents, and some seriously deep buckles and buttons. I'll give the AT-PRO credit though - it vacuumed up a few hundred dollars' worth of clad first, clearing the way for the deeper targets to stand out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread