My first ever....

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching many of the Gold Rush series - scripted or not - and reading about gold prospecting here thought it would be neat to try to pan for gold. Well living in Louisiana chances for that are very slim.

Anyway I read on here about folks buying paydirt, so checked on ebay and found some for decent price. Ordered the Garrett panning kit and started my little gold operation today with a 1/4 pound of Alaska concentrate.

I took it very slow and finally got down to nothing but the black sand. Kept swirling the water around over the black stuff...didn't think I had anything but kept at it, then suddenly saw a nice size little piece on the edge of the dirt I could actually pick up with my fingers. Nearly fell out of my chair...lol

More swirling and more little pieces showed up...

Found 8 little pieces first pan. Re-panned the dirt 3 more times and got 1 more small piece..

May not be much but was worth a million to me..

gold.jpg

Got another 3 pound bag to work on tomorrow...:)

Upvote 0

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Scruff up that pan bottom brother! To smooth and some fine gold will floooooooat away.

Congrats in getting started. If you ever come to SoCal, I will take you out. Alot of info on this site.. You tube.. Use it to learn .. Watch out!!!! The fever is contagious and takes no prisoners!

Best of luck in your hunt.

Mellow...

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hawgwild,

Nicely done--welcome to the passion for fun!

All the best,

Lanny

rlborde

Aug 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen several references to "scruffing up the pan" but am not sure how best to go about it. (Clearly, I too am a newbe) Do you use a rock? Steel wool? Linear lines? Cross hatch streaks? Seem to recall something about a coarse kitchen sponge. True?
Thanks for any help.

Rick

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
It's nothin big, a kitchen sponge would be fine, don't scuff it all away, just scratch up a bit and let your future prospecting trips do the rest eh!

OP
OP
Hawgwild

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all...it was and is a blast. maybe one day I can go after the stuff in a more natural environment. Till then I'll just pick up a bag every now and then on ebay...

@Utduder....I paid about $8.50 for that 1/4 pound bag of concentrate I got the gold from in the picture, plus $5.00 shipping...I also have a 3 pound bag i haven't started on yet and paid about $15 for it plus about $5.00 shipping.....You can find folks selling concentrates and others selling the dirt right from the ground. I always check the feedback on the seller before I bid..Most I've dealt with have very good feedback so folks are happy with what they are getting.

Just go to ebay and search for "gold paydirt"...there is plenty available in all size weights and prices..

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty good deal. Thanks for the response .

rlborde

Aug 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Mellowyellow. I did try a small rock and scraped it up a bit and it does seem to help. Also, I do use Jet Dry as well.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Nice pan!
Personaly, when I get a new plastic pan I wash it in soapy water (gets rid of the oils from the mold release agent) while scrubbing it with fine steelwool. Works for me...
I'm betting you are hooked now!

helogunner

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's (the fever) has had me for a few months. I am blessed to live in an area were pretty much every stream will produce color. Scrub that pan bro- looks like a new car top!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawgwild,rlborde - we all noticed the same thing in your very clear pic. - beading of the water and black sand floating. As Vance in AK stated oils from the mold
release has to be eliminated on new pans. Surface tension of the water and any oils will cause much loss of fine to flour gold in any recovery system.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread