My first experience good and bad.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just learned about coin roll hunting and copper penny sorting a couple weeks ago. First thought is I am sooo mad I haven't been doing this for years... LOL. All the good stuff is surely gone.
Anyways I started with 25 bucks worth of penny's. Went to WF, they gave no problem. Went back to a different WF , asked for a 100. I got some weird looks but they gave it to me. Today I went to 3 different WF asking for 100 in 1/2 dollars and was not only denied but told " they don't have any, and can't order any" .....what a joke. I got frustrated and gave the manager at the last branch a piece of my mind.

went to another WF, Decided to try a new strategy and just ask the teller if " they have any half dollars"? The teller was like I have a couple in my drawer. And I said ok Ill take those. She then asked if I wanted more , I said yes and she got a few more from another teller. Feeling bit more upbeat I went to yet another WF ( this is where I bank and I didn't have any cash). This teller had a few in her drawer aswell and was also much happier to help me with getting more. She asked her manager to come over and the manager gave me the low down on there ordering procedure, the number to call and everything. I thanked her for her service.

Now for the good news. I only got about 20 bucks worth but I scored!!!!!! My first piece of silver ever! A 1965 half dollar ! 40% silver yes? WHOOT WHOOT.

Not very happy about how hard it was to get the half dollar though..... Any tips?

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area i can't get rolls. People drop off i can only order boxes there $500 per box try that. Tell the head teller to order them for you. Some will and some will not!! Don't give up!!

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just learned about coin roll hunting and copper penny sorting a couple weeks ago. First thought is I am sooo mad I haven't been doing this for years... LOL. All the good stuff is surely gone.
Anyways I started with 25 bucks worth of penny's. Went to WF, they gave no problem. Went back to a different WF , asked for a 100. I got some weird looks but they gave it to me. Today I went to 3 different WF asking for 100 in 1/2 dollars and was not only denied but told " they don't have any, and can't order any" .....what a joke. I got frustrated and gave the manager at the last branch a piece of my mind.

went to another WF, Decided to try a new strategy and just ask the teller if " they have any half dollars"? The teller was like I have a couple in my drawer. And I said ok Ill take those. She then asked if I wanted more , I said yes and she got a few more from another teller. Feeling bit more upbeat I went to yet another WF ( this is where I bank and I didn't have any cash). This teller had a few in her drawer aswell and was also much happier to help me with getting more. She asked her manager to come over and the manager gave me the low down on there ordering procedure, the number to call and everything. I thanked her for her service.

Now for the good news. I only got about 20 bucks worth but I scored!!!!!! My first piece of silver ever! A 1965 half dollar ! 40% silver yes? WHOOT WHOOT.

Not very happy about how hard it was to get the half dollar though..... Any tips?

I get most of my silver from teller trays I hit 40-50 banks every 2 weeks, I hardly ever find banks that have rolls, Im also doing 2 boxes a weeks right now.

In my area i can't get rolls. People drop off i can only order boxes there $500 per box try that. Tell the head teller to order them for you. Some will and some will not!! Don't give up!!

Tim do you get any boxes from banks that you dont have accounts with?

jedi9

Jun 13, 2012
I just started this a couple weeks ago myself and I'm hooked! I have already got 4 banks within 3 miles of my house to start ordering boxes for me! I don't have accounts with 3 of them but they are happy to take cash! I've found that being very happy and kind to the tellers works wonders. Many of them have called other branches of their banks for me! Good luck!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found that being very happy and kind to the tellers works wonders. Many of them have called other branches of their banks for me! Good luck!

Words to live by. Wasn't having any luck until I killed them with kindness. Got another 40% piece today for a teller tray.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's much better to try and turn the opinion around of a bank that won't work with you rather than giving them a piece of your mind. I know it's tempting, but you're pretty much sealing the deal that they won't deal with CRH ever from that point on. Who knows though, maybe if you go about it right you can force 'em into it

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Question, when done sorting through them all, do you reroll them and return them to the bank or grant some lucky kid a half dollar to mow the lawn.........

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Question, when done sorting through them all, do you reroll them and return them to the bank or grant some lucky kid a half dollar to mow the lawn.........

You can reroll them, dump them in a coin machine, or give them as payment to someone. #3 may not be the best option, once you are hooked, you won't be able to search just once every mowing time.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Generally speaking, its best not to return them to the same bank in which you purchased them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions