My first farm field hunt - no silver but some cool relics and a great time!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey everyone! I've been out west for a while visiting my daughter & her family. :thumbsup: Lately I've been silverly challenged, and this trip was no exception. :( Inspired by Merf, I did a little research and found some farm fields that used to have old houses and schoolhouses on them. I found the owner of the main property I wanted to hunt and introduced myself. He is a real great guy and said no problem! :) He said he would be interested in seeing what I found - no problem here for sure! :thumbsup: He's one of those people who you are just glad to meet!

Site small.jpg

This site had an old one room schoolhouse on it back in the day. After talking with the owner, I found out that it had ceased operation in the mid 50's after decades of use. He actually just missed going there because it closed the year he would have started. There was also a farmstead on another section of this land, but I couldn't locate anything there.

First off, I started picking up old square nails - a good sign! After digging a few, I started ignoring them and found a '26 wheat that was dropped not too long after it was made.

Wheat hole small.jpg

I'm glad I found that early in the day, because that made me persevere in thoroughly covering this huge area. I pulled a lot of shotgun shells, both old and new, and was digging just about everything that looked interesting on the screen. A couple hours later, I thought I had a nickel, and up came this tiny little toy teacup. Finding this made the day worthwhile for sure, and was better that digging a silver! I don't know if it's a CJ toy or from a doll tea set, but I think it's cool! :thumbsup:

Teacup small.jpg

A bit later, I thought I had an Indian, but up came a token from a long-gone billiard hall in a distant town. Great find #2!

Token Obverse photo small.jpg
Token Reverse photo small.jpg

I concentrated in that area, and came up with a piece of toy jewelry with a chipped blue glass "stone" in it. Great find #3!

Pendant small.jpg

A couple of old buttons and an 1881 Rogers spoon also came up from there. The spoon has obviously tangled with a plow and lost, and I can't find this pattern anywhere on line to date it.

Finds 2 small.jpg

At the end of the day, I stopped back to show the owner my finds and offer any or all of them to him. He told me to keep them and said that another one of his properties had an old schoolhouse on it and said I should check that one, too. I checked it out the next day and only found the round pin with the large insert missing - among a bunch of aluminum can slaw and shotgun shells. So, I have yet to pull even one silver from this state, but this time I found some cool old relics and had as much fun as I do when I'm finding silver!

No hunting small.jpg

Thanks for checking out my long-a$$ post and finds! If anyone has an idea on what the clip on the left side of the pic is from, please let me know.

HH and keep the good ones rolling in! :wink:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Those are some pretty big fields. . . and you got some cool relics too!

That's one of those kinds of sites you really can't do in an afternoon or before work :D

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Merf has definately made some great finds in farm fields. I need to get up enough nerve to ask permission on a couple of sites I know of.
HH
John

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
I've hunted 3, one-room schoolhouses now and never did this good.

Reaallllyy nice token Neil !!! That would make my day! :thumbsup:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great grouping Neil. Looks and sounds like you had some fun. Are you going back before the crops come up?

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Good job,
Particularly on finding the place and getting the nerve up to ask permission.

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Dirt fishing Wolf said:
Great grouping Neil. Looks and sounds like you had some fun. Are you going back before the crops come up?
I wish I was, but it's almost a 10 hour drive to get there. :-\ Spring seems like the ideal time to hit these fields, but after harvest in the fall would be OK too, especially if it had been planted with soybeans. I've got my eye on several more spots for the next trip there. :)

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice assortment of finds you have there Mr. Kimsdad...

I especially like the Tea Cup & Token ...

Looks like you had a Splendid day ~ Congratulations

~ Al

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
Dirt fishing Wolf said:
I wish I was, but it's almost a 10 hour drive to get there. :-\ Spring seems like the ideal time to hit these fields, but after harvest in the fall would be OK too, especially if it had been planted with soybeans. I've got my eye on several more spots for the next trip there. :)
Awesome finds!! Hope you're already checking your calendar to get back once again, there must be quite a few more treasures to unearth in that gem of a spot.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well I guess school's out, eh?!?

I heard someone ask for a "spot" of tea once. Perhaps they came from that neck of the woods?

I'm wondering if that old clip is from some old rain-boots/galoshes? About the right size.

M

MR Senior L4S

Climates like from Europe , love those long farm hunting ( not in Illinois ) , 4-5 signals p/hr. adn 2-3 are goods .

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some neat finds KD------I love hunting those old field sites.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread