My first find: Possibly a Turdaș-Vinča culture Tablet (?!)

Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fellow dectorists!

I am new to this forum and also very new to the world of detecting, but so far I love it!

When I went out detecting for the second time I found something quite interesting. I did a little research and I believe it's possibly some sort of tablet from the Turdaș-Vinča culture?! I am really just guessing here. I have no experience and knowledge in this whatsoever, but I am very curious and trying to learn.

I attached both sides of it. If anybody has an idea of what this could be, I would be very happy and thankful for your input.

I found it in the South East of Serbia. It's exactly 1,4cm wide and very lightweight.

Kind regards,
Dane

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 6

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant help with the ID, but welcome to the forum and congrats on your find.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, thanks for joining and sharing! That coin appears to be a Post-Medieval Ottoman coin, perhaps a debased Billon Akce or a copper coin of lower denomination, maybe from the 1700s?

The only items from the Vinca culture that you are likely to find with a detector would be copper trinkets or tools, but their pottery and figurines are wonderful so keep your eyes open when out exploring! The schools never taught us about the Vinca culture here in the USA, which is sad because the Vinca people were a peaceful, children-loving and advanced Native European culture; the first in Europe to learn the secrets of metallurgy and the first people in the world known to invent writing/written language, with their inscribed clay tablets being 1000 years older than the earliest Mesopotamian tablets. The archaeological evidence seems to show that the Vinca people migrated to Mesopotamia bringing their artistic style and writing with them. Very fascinating history in my opinion.

They tell us that Mesopotamia was the "Cradle of Civilization", but if that is true then Serbia is the Womb of civilization! Good luck in your future hunts, Serbia is a wonderful and rich land to hunt for artifacts!

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, thanks for joining and sharing! That coin appears to be a Post-Medieval Ottoman coin, perhaps a debased Billon Akce or a copper coin of lower denomination, maybe from the 1700s?

The only items from the Vinca culture that you are likely to find with a detector would be copper trinkets or tools, but their pottery and figurines are wonderful so keep your eyes open when out exploring! The schools never taught us about the Vinca culture here in the USA, which is sad because the Vinca people were a peaceful, children-loving and advanced Native European culture; the first in Europe to learn the secrets of metallurgy and the first people in the world known to invent writing/written language, with their inscribed clay tablets being 1000 years older than the earliest Mesopotamian tablets. The archaeological evidence seems to show that the Vinca people migrated to Mesopotamia bringing their artistic style and writing with them. Very fascinating history in my opinion.

They tell us that Mesopotamia was the "Cradle of Civilization", but if that is true then Serbia is the Womb of civilization! Good luck in your future hunts, Serbia is a wonderful and rich land to hunt for artifacts!

What he said....haha

Great post!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)