My first find with my first machine, a penny using an MXT

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I received my first detector ever today, a White's MXT. I got the notice slip from the post office and ran straight down there after work. By the time I got my hands on it, it was already 7:00pm or so. I was dying to get it put together. I wanted to run down to the park to try it out. As I say I've never used a detector before, so I was beyond excited. After reading this forum, watching videos, reading books, listening to podcasts, and communicating with some of you good people on this and other forums all winter, you can imagine there was some pent up energy there. :laughing7:

Anyway, I go to the post office, get the machine home, but lo and behold, the wife is in a terrible mood! Agh! She is all depressed and bent out of shape about a lousy day at work. I tried to be kind to her and show her some support, meanwhile sitting on the sofa tearing open that box like a kid hopped up on sugar at Christmas. :tongue3: I am desperately trying to rationalize between a state of empathy for my poor wife and at the same time concentrate on assembling my new MXT.

Life is tough. Anyway, although I've never touched a detector before, due to all my research, reading, learning from some of you fine folks etc., I was no stranger to that darned MXT. I must have blasted the thing together in just under 2 minutes. Now I was itching to get out to that park. Due to overcast skies all day in my area, it was getting dark fast.

And what does the wife say right at that moment? "Do you want to go out for dinner?"

:cussing:

Part of me wanted to run out the door with that thing. But, alas, the gentleman in me took over, and out we went to the restaurant. By the time we got back, it was getting very dark, but I couldn't let that dissuade me from at LEAST going out and plunking it down a few times in the park.

With all that said, I have my first MD find, a 1985 penny. (I thank you all for your patience for reading this far, and yes, although it was only a penny, I was excited!)

So here I go! It's on for tomorrow night, this weekend, whatever. It'll take a while to really figure out the MXT, and I know that. I'll be reading the manual a few more times, and doing more testing and so on, but I already have a penny, and I dug it out of 3 inches of soil, and this penny is my beacon of hope for the future. :occasion14: Cheers!

I Will

Upvote 0

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so happy for you! Great screen name by the way. You have the bug now and the only cure is more treasure. I wish you the best of luck and welcome to T-Net

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Welcome to the hobby/lifestyle. The finds will only get better with time. I remember my very first find back in 1994. Bought my first detector, an XLT, just because I was given sole access to an old stagecoach stop that was built in 1740. The very first thing I pulled out of the ground was an 1865 IH. I was hooked!! Talk about MD fever! The most important thing to remember is to dig ALL positive targets. " If your not finding trash, your gonna miss the treasure."

OP
OP
I

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks guys! And duly noted on the "dig all targets" concept. I shall endeavour! :hello2:

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on your first find. You sound exactly like I did when my first detector came... but I really was a kid at the time (12). There's nothing else in the world like this hobby, and it's truly addicting. Good luck on the adventures waiting to happen.... :hello:

DBFISHER

Apr 21, 2009
Elkhart, IN.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350 , Fisher F-70
congrates on your first find, Just remember.When you hit a dry spell (and you will) don't get deterred,keep the faith just suck it up and keep swinging,keep finding new places to hunt. Key words RESEARCH,RESEARCH. HH

cra$h

Greenie
May 18, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Congrats! My first machine comes on Friday-I'll be happy to find a penny too :icon_pirat:

SPONNIE73

Jun 1, 2006
Hanover, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Nautilus 2B, F75 LTD
And what does the wife say right at that moment? "Do you want to go out for dinner?"
I bet you had that deer in the headlight look. :o You did the right thing, saved yourself from a heap of conflict. Congratulations on the new toy. The more you get out the more addicting it becomes. I’m afraid you’re too far gone, there is nothing that will help you now.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations Joe on finding your first treasure. They do add up over a few seasons, then clean up those pennies en masse with a tumbler, wrap 'em and deposit 'em.

Sounds like you had quite a first night!! Life sure can be an iron-clad bitch! :D

Just wait until you dig-up an older coin / token / antique jewellery. That first silver coin will be just like Christmas morning...

Joe the fellas above have given some very good advice. Combine that with your enthusiasm and a really remarkable, (and flexible) unit for years of enjoyment and adventure. Let us know the outcome of your next hunt and don't forget to practice with different targets in the field prior to digging. Take your best guess, then dig it!!

All the very best,

Jim.

OP
OP
I

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Jim Hemmingway said:
Congratulations Joe on finding your first treasure. They do add up over a few seasons, then clean up those pennies en masse with a tumbler, wrap 'em and deposit 'em.

Sounds like you had quite a first night!! Life sure can be an iron-clad bitch! :D

Just wait until you dig-up an older coin / token / antique jewellery. That first silver coin will be just like Christmas morning...

Joe the fellas above have given some very good advice. Combine that with your enthusiasm and a really remarkable, (and flexible) unit for years of enjoyment and adventure. Let us know the outcome of your next hunt and don't forget to practice with different targets in the field prior to digging. Take your best guess, then dig it!!

All the very best,

Jim.

And a big thank you to you, Jim! You've been extremely help and informative as I worked towards figuring out which detector to buy and how to set it up. I can't thank you enough. :icon_thumright:

I went out again today (had a few hours in the late afternoon). I did much better this time - 24 times better, in fact! (I found 24 pennies this time!)

Seriously, I had a gas! 24 pennies, an Acura key and keychain, a small wrench, a busted up Seiko watch, and iron piece that looked like a chunk of a horseshoe and a giant steel ball (I have no idea what it is, but it felt very cool to dig it out of the ground) Heck, I even found a 4 foot piece of rebar under a tree!

Today I got just a little bit more comfortable with the concept of metal detecting. After today I know that this is a hobby that requires patience. It takes time to learn, and you need to have a positive attitude to get the best out of it. In other words, you need to have fun as you develop your skills. And I'm having a LOT of fun. Awesome stuff, and I wish I had gotten into this amazing hobby earlier.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 314

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
Congradulations on your new addiction, I had an MXT for about a year, they are GREAT machines when you learn them, just try what works best for you and it will all work out. HH

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
My wife tells me that if my MXT had hair on it I would sleep with it... Mind you, she said that about my new tractor when I bought it, but I couldn't get it in the door...

Congrats to you IWillFindTheGold and Happy Hunting.

The Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread