My First Find!!!

hedshot56

Mar 24, 2014
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
1 White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I took the advice I got from my first topic and went out detecting today. And after about 15 minutes of digging around some abandoned houses (and later 15 of cleaning it up), I found this: It's a lid to something apparently.
fR3mSkxh.jpg

I know it's not much but I got excited after I had finally found something. Anyway, any advice is always appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140325_173930.jpg
    20140325_173930.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 8

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good Idea to place a good reference in the picture. Like a quarter, so the viewer can figure the size. Cosmetic containers are pretty common finds. You might want to clean it and try to get a name or logo off it. I really like finding old cosmetic containters for two reasons 1. History 2. Helps date the site so I know how old the coins should be at the site.

Nice find

HH
MariposaGold.

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow new hunter!! My first find was posted a few days ago and was a broken cast iron skillet handle. I know the feeling when you found that first piece of junk knowing that better things are to come! Congratulations.

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Thanks for sharing. If u got the coil to the ground u will find many more amazing objects. The research is fun. Great way to find the age of an area for future detecting that area. You kind of know what era of items to expect.

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider Myself a New Guy to the Hobby as well, I have only been detecting for about a Year. My first find was a silver colored Toy Dime , I thought it was real Silver ? But it was not...lol...

OP
OP
H

hedshot56

Mar 24, 2014
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
1 White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned it up a little more. It's really rusty though, all I can make out is "Kraft". Are there any ways to get a little of the rust off?

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking with someone about preservation techniques and he said he uses electrolysis for iron objects. I don't know any details about how to build and electrolysis kit yet but I'm definitely going to be looking into it and other techniques.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first find! Your doing it right! Better finds come with more hunting time. I bet that was a loud signal!
Looks like maybe a blue Kraft mayo lid. The type of writing may help date it. GL. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread