My first gold in Germany and other finds, many pics

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Did not detect last week until weekend due to the work but on Friday decided to visit the field whoch I usually visit without detector and where I collect various stuff from 1930s.
Here are the finds after 1 hour. Thought that found nothing leaving the field.

2006-12-15_glass.jpg

Have not paid any attention to the pen on the field, but after cleaning found out that there is patent self filling pen, the producer is "Onoto" from London and there feature is that they use gold nibs in their pens. They were very popular starting from 1910s. Cleaned a bit more and saw "14 carat gold" on it. Not bad! Tried to write with it - yes!_ but I still need to glue 1 gummi ring inside

pen1.jpg

Evening with detector brought the following:

2006-12-15.jpg

Pin with king of Prussia Friedrich, looks like it was made from a coin, but not sure yet about existence of such coin

pin_friedrich.jpg

very small but very nice button with black patina

button_bell1.jpg

Interesting copper 1817 coin from the Reuss, the area to the north from Bavaria.

1pf1817_reuss.jpg

Saturday on the same field. Again nice relics.

2006-12-16.jpg

I am curious about this piece - looks very old, and made by hand, I have some similar-looking bronse decorations in Russia which dated 6-7 century, and they are believed to be just cloth decorations. But the difference is in the edge - here it is made so that the edge looks like so - /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\. Any info is appreciated.

wheel1.jpg

The only silver of the week is very small bavarian 1 kreuzer from1833 with profile of Ludvig I, king of Bavaria.

1kr1833_bayern.jpg

Sunday - 2.5 hours on the field which I researched already and found nothing before.

2006-12-17.jpg

Now I was more lucke and found these two pewter buttons:

button_pewter2.jpg

button_pewter1.jpg

Thanks for viewing and HH

Sand

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My first gold in Germany and other finds

Excellent!

hh

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

:o I think you got an old piece there, would check with a local museum with that. ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Sand,

very nice group of artifacts and coins.

That pen is a keeper for sure.

Congrat.

have a good un............

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first time i've seen anybody find a fountain pen..very cool, love the coins too

HH
-GC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Sand and congrats on the silver and gold! That round object with the holes and edge /\/\/\/ could be a pastry cutter. HH, Mike

D

dugupfinds

Bavaria Mike said:
Very nice finds Sand and congrats on the silver and gold! That round object with the holes and edge /\/\/\/ could be a pastry cutter. HH, Mike

I agree it does look similar to a pastry jigger. However I do not know of any saxon/early medieval examples. They tend to be Post Medieval. They also do not have holes other than in the centre. See picture:
http://www.metaldetecting.supanet.com/Pages/Post Medieval.htm

This piece looks middle saxon maybe about 8-9th century. A common design was the four larger holes which leaves an expanding cross design with the metal left, however this has a further row of 4 smaller holes which splits the ends of each arm of the cross into two. Its definately an early decorative mount of some description & as someone said, worth taking to a Museum.

Nice find.

OP
OP
Sand

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Thanks for the responses and very productive ID posts, I am still in doubts and that is why...

Mike -

I think I have already pastry cutter wheel :

wheel2.jpg

It looks very different, it is not flat, and has ~3x thicker edge. I have not found yet in the net cutter which has so many holes.

dugfinds -

If you look thoroughly , then you can see remains of iron rust near the central hole - is it not from the iron axis which is lost? Moreover - look at the holes other than central - they all have irregular shape, but the central is perfectly round (only some rust on 1 side). Can it be an argument that this wheel was rotating? Another thing - if it is decoration, why the edge is made this way /\/\/\/\/\.

Another version - it was tool for making /\/\/\/\/\-pattern on the ceramic. Thickness of the wheel is 1.3-1.5 mm.

D

dugupfinds

Yeah, could be, I did notice the iron, & I wondered about a spur rowel but its not pointy enoungh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread