My first half cent....and my oldest coin to date

W

whites6000inPa

Stopped at a house on the way back from the banking business this morning....a house built in the 1950s, thinking I could nab a quick silver coin maybe.

I was hunting behind the house when I got a hit that suggested a quarter at 4 inches. I dug it and didn't know what to make of it......first thinking it was a shield nickel. I rubbed it a bit and reallized I'd dug an 1810 half cent. It's my first half cent...and my oldest coin to date.

It's not in the best of condition, but I'll take it.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 1810.JPG
    1810.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...But here's the REAL question: What on earth was an 1810 coin doing at a 1950's house? You owe it to yourself to search this area carefully and learn as much as you can about what might have been there in the past. There could be some other amazing finds waiting! How deep was the coin?

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

The elderly gentleman who owns the place said it was kind of odd.....because the area had just been cow pasture before the homes that are there were built.

Greensboro was founded in 1791.....and that dirt could have come from anywhere in town.

Wyatt

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Looks like the date is about the clearest part of the coin, but if you ask me, that's the most important part! Good job!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one, Wyatt!

What state do you live in?

At just 4 inches deep I'd first suspect it was brought in with the fill dirt.

Badger

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I live in, and the coin was found in...Greensboro Pa, which was founded in 1791. It's odd that the coin was so shallow. Just goes to show....you never know what's going to be in that hole when you live in an area as old as this area is.

I will try and take a picture of the reverse. You can read half cent, and the wresth is evident, but the 1/200 fraction is worn off.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks Lance

The mintage on this particular date was a scant 215 thousand. That's 50 thousand less of these to be had than 1921-D walking liberty halves.

Shame it's so nasty. It does encourage me though....that early silver coins could be found in this area. I'm going to go with a friend to a couple old cellar holes on saturday. Maybe we'll do well there.

Wyatt

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet coin................

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 365
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 362

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread