My First Half Dollar!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Got out hunting for a few hours today with my Dad. It sure was nice enough out after that rain that we got. I brought my new Echo weedwacker with to help knock down some of the tall prairie grass that's started to grown behind this old farm house. Before I could even start detecting, I had to cut a swath down the rear sidewalk. That turned up nothing, so I cut some more on the side of the house, and that turned up nothing. So I cut another patch towards the tree my Dad was having such good luck at with his wheaties. While I was trimming that area my Dad made first thunder with his rosie find. I don't know what it is, but when someone finds something... and you haven't been finding diddly, you feel like it's hopeless... this time I felt like the loot would be there if I just KEPT digging those iffy signals. The amount of iron in the ground here is insane... you'll soon see. So you have to dig everything or you'll be digging NOTHING. We'll on the loopback pass through the area I just trimmed, I got a one-way wheatie/memorial signal... well the conductive numbers were 43/44 but the ferrous was all over the place. I did a lousy lazy job of pinpointing and didn't cut the hole round.. just kind of rammed the shovel in twice and popped a broken plug up. I pulled the button and a few pieces of iron out and decided to close it back up. Scanning again now was giving me higher conductive numbers 46/47 but the ferrous was around 16/17, and of course it was jumping about and still a one way signal. I figured it might be a nice dime or even a quarter, and when I got the target out of the hole I about fainted when I saw the size of the coin! I couldn't see the obverse clearly with the dirt on it and first though it might be a Morgan dollar, but I was starting to get my bearings and realized it was a half dollar, my first Walking Liberty Half! 1941-d and in pretty nice shape too! And despite my sloppy start, I didn't even scratch it :-) After I put the half safely away, I proceeded to clear the hole of all metal... see the last picture of the unbelievable amount of iron that came out of this hole!! I'm still on cloud niner! I also managed a 1929 Canadian Cent, 1917 Wheatie, and a 1926 Dog Tax tag.

06132009_1.jpg

06132009_2.jpg

06132009_3.jpg

06132009_4.jpg

06132009_5.jpg

06132009_6.jpg

06132009_7.jpg

06132009_8.jpg

06132009_9.jpg

ALL OF THIS IRON WAS IN THE HOLE WITH THE HALF!!!

I am now a firm believer of digging all one way signals, even if there is a lot of iron around ;-)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow! You earned it! I know those pin staples are killers. I've dug 20 of them at a time just knowing each one was silver or gold before I recovered it. If they're pointing up or down, they are easier to define but laying flat they can really ruin your day.

Super congrats on that Walker, you'll be back for more! Is that place condemned, for sale or abandoned? If you can, tear out that lattice and do some crawling under that porch. Never mind the critters, they're trying to hide some goodies from you.

Great looking site, great hunt!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Congrats on that Walker :thumbsup:

Those are always spectacular when you see them in the dirt :o

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a fantastic find. On my wish list! Congrats.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
WOW ! Was that ever cool seeing that big silver come out of that hole. Congrats on that beautiful Walker Brett! I can't believe how much iron you were pulling up after it too, like a Magician that kept pulling rabbits out of a hat. I doubt my DFX would have heard that half...but maybe,, if I plugged it into a 220vt. extension cord. :laughing7:

WTG! :thumbsup:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awes0me job finding your first half dollar!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hells yea!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BIG

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 130
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 129

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Half BRETT.....That ET can find um in the Iron ehhh ?Congrats

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Congratulations Brett. Great coin. Way to pull it out of that iron! I am sure you guys will be back

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Thanks everyone!

We went back yesterday and weed wacked and raked some more... all I got was two more wheaties (a 1916 and 1936), a figurine that could be a clock key, my first tootsy toy, some kind of tiger claw, and that's about it. Oh, and another pouch full of iron and crap... and no, I didn't save the full size shovel head that I dug up at 12". Some of this stuff is interesting to look at, so I'll post pics when I get to them.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Diggin' shovels rules! Even if it is kind of ironic....
Been there, dug that!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hey Brett, congrats on that beauty of a half dollar. It sure is a rush when that big round disk with the silver reeded edge pops out of the hole. Too bad it can't happen more often! I'd like to find a walker as nice as yours sometime. Keep hitting that site!

Joe

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Brett said:
Thanks everyone!

We went back yesterday and weed wacked and raked some more... all I got was two more wheaties (a 1916 and 1936), a figurine that could be a clock key, my first tootsy toy, some kind of tiger claw, and that's about it. Oh, and another pouch full of iron and crap... and no, I didn't save the full size shovel head that I dug up at 12". Some of this stuff is interesting to look at, so I'll post pics when I get to them.

Yeah, I can't believe how much "Big" iron is in that yard. We're building a pile out it by the back porch. I think that one piece I took out was even bigger than your shovel head. Who knows what nice oldie could be lurking a couple inches under a shovel head? As far as relics... post away some pics.. here's one to start.

Attachments

• johnsnew 326.jpg
    johnsnew 326.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 118

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice going Brett!
You sure earned those finds and then some. That Walker's beautiful.
Keep at it!
Mike

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Great job, Brett!!!
Still looking for my first silver half....hoping to get one for Fathers Day.

Makton

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Wow, Brett!!! Congrats on your first half!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

That house and yard look real inviting, and the weed whacker was a great idea!

I can't believe all the iron in that hole and the signal still came through!!! Nice job! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread