My first hour EVER Metal Detecting

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
After researching, lurking, and learning on here for going on 2 years I finally "bit the bullet" and picked up my ACE 350 yesterday. I read and re-read the manual 10 times yesterday and this morning and tested a few items outside of my own...then went down to the riverbank and began my first ever 'hunt'. I live in the area where Sherman crossed the Chattahoochee River in the summer of 1864..HOWEVER any CW items that may still exist around here are masked by 4 or 5 decades of beer cans and bottle caps from being the "party central" area of Atlanta from the 1960's-80's. Right away I was confused by all the settings and discriminations and sensitivities ...like I forgot everything in the manual..so i went to 'none' (preselect mode) and tried to dig everything. The built in pinpointer is clutch b/c it really helped when I started using the trowel. Anyways I found a bunch of can slaw, a 1974 quarter, 3 bottle caps and my BIG find (haha) a shotgun shell primer from the 1940s or 1950s...so junk..but I will say this ..I have absolutely GOT THE BUG! Gotta learn the machine and the differences in all the dings and dongs and thuds and chimes...I was a bit overwhelmed today but in the hour I was hunting was a blast...even as all my neighbors looked at me like I was an idiot. Sorry for wasting yalls time..but I'm loving this...

Here's a pic of my garbage..but at least I know the machine works :)...again..its from my first hour ever of MD-ing

Also can anyway point me to a thread about proper plug digging and filling? I want to be a responsible as I can (also threw away all the cans and caps I found today as well...)

Attachments

• firsteverfinds.jpg
    firsteverfinds.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,416
Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the madness!

Now just wait till you find yourself watching videos of people detecting and you are actually enjoying it.

It only gets worse from here :icon_thumright:

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each hunt gets better, with experience, keep researching you history, as for plugs i like to make a box around my target but dig the three out of four sides, that way it will lift up like a hinge. grab your coin out, put plug back down and a little foot stomp and your good to go!!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Congradulation on your purchase of the Garrett Ace 350. You should be able to score at the Beach also. Thanks for sharing your finds and good luck-goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of what everybody says above is true. This is a sickness.

I have been doing it for 11 years and am still ate up with it.

Welcome to the best hobby in the world.

We all know from experience your finds will get better.

The problem is the more and better you find,

the more and better you want to find.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WARNING-metal detecting is very addictive!!! WTG, if you are finding that stuff, you'll find relics and old coins. HH.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
this is the only bug ive ever been glad to get!!!!!!! you will love "the detecting bug" :laughing9: you will get some great stuff if you keep trying. welcome to the hobby!! :headbang: :occasion14:

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lordy! lordy! lordy! Now look see what you have done. Done got hooked. This is so addictive. Just might as well accept it you are now in for the long haul!! Have fun and don't worry about what others think. Just have fun! HHHH

P.S. Well come to the insanity

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some day you may dig a plug and see this!!! chug
Mine was just junk and My first of the year, But it makes Me want To get Out and find the real One!!! Chug

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,151

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
Welcome! I just got my detector about 6 months ago and loooovvvveeeeee it!!! Just stick with it and you'll be sure to find some cool stuff.

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your metal detector and your first digs!

What's nice is when you finally dig up your first couple of rings and realize it just paid for your metal detector ;)

Here's a few videos on plug cutting and coin popping:

Very good video. Check out the right and wrong way to cut a plug at the end-

Coin popping (I don't like doing this with metal probes because it can scratch up the coin):

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, go to Lowes and get one of these:

31LjUa1O5jL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It cuts great clean plugs and will go right through roots.

Also, if you don't have a pinpointer, there are a wide selection available from KellyCo metal detectors or you can get a real cheap one from Harbor Freight tools that will get you by for about $16 bucks. this will save you a TON of time once you get your plug dug.

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damon64 said:
...or maybe a Lesche. Great start!

I'm going to have to break down and try one of those. Everytime I talk about the true temp, I hear someone say get a Lesche. Must be really good.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooster Cogburn said:
Damon64 said:
...or maybe a Lesche. Great start!

I'm going to have to break down and try one of those. Everytime I talk about the true temp, I hear someone say get a Lesche. Must be really good.
Inox, lesche same thing a good swiss victorinox bayonet rocks if you can get away with it. Congratulations on your first hunt. The items that you are digging is what you are supposed to dig. If you are not getting shotgun hulls you will be missing good targets.
Have fun is the main thing. Research can be almost as fun as hunting when it pays off. Good luck in all your hunts
HH
TnMtns

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
So much thanks for all of your comments! The majority here are always quite helpful and non hesitant to answer any questions.

Sunday was the first day it seemed to stop raining since 1986 ...hopefully we'll get another rain free day soon so I can continue learning

Again, thanks for the welcome to the addiciton

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
WARNING-metal detecting is very addictive!!! WTG, if you are finding that stuff, you'll find relics and old coins. HH.

You are right Quindy. My wife said I should have married that machine. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions