my first hunt! But before I sort through...

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought have a box of halfs over 7 banks. I also got about 20 eisenhowers.

I have a few q's that I couldn't find in the guide though, why bother keeping eisenhower's that aren't silver? And why are 2001+ halves worth more? And is there any halves to look out for besides 1987 and besides silver to look for?

Thanks guys!! I can't wait

Edit: thanks pile! Cool I'm gonna hold onto both ike's and 2001+ for that very reason, I've never been in on something before they gained value awwww yeahhh

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
D,

I am barely out of the Newb stage, so I don't mind answering your questions.

Coin Roll Hunters (CRH'ers) keep Eisenhowers because some folks are getting more than face value for them on Ebay, and because they speculate that they will be collectors items in the future.

Half dollars newer than 2001 are called "Not Intended for Circulation" (NIFC) and are kept on the speculation that they will someday have more value to collectors.

I don't know about key dates, as I only hunt for silver.

Keep on Rollin' !

PD.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Ikes do have value over face value, but it is comparatively very little when compared to silver. Personally, I have a teller who loves to collect Ikes so whenever I pick some up I find any silver there might be, then sell them to her for face value, in return she saves out some silver and never complains about my dumping.

Halves dated later than 2001 were only sold by the US mint to collectors, however, most collectors have already picked up the dates they want so demand is very low for them. Personally, I only hold on to the NIFC if they are in BU condition.

Pick up any 1987 halves too, as these were also NIFC. Keep an eye out also for 1970-Ds too, you should be saving these out not only because they are 40% silver, but they are the "key date" half dollar.

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good info! I had the same questions and now they are answered!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
yeh I'm sometimes amazed at how much circulated clad Ike's sell for on ebay - though I know seller's fees eat up a lot of the profit. When I get any Ike's at banks I usually just use them at retail stores as well as lose clad halves I always have in my car. That reminds me I need to check back with a bank in the morning that told me last time I was there that they had some silver dollar coins but for some reason they were locked in someone's drawer or something at the time. They are most likely Ike's - but you never know. I also found a '64 and a 40% silver half from this bank from just $4.00 fv just three weeks ago so this bank is worth the stop.

HH

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Don't forget the ike varieties... You have the FEV, 1976 Type1, 1972 Type 2... Can be some good money if you find the right one. So far the Eisenhower collection is the only one I've finished from circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread