My first hunt ever, results in plated silver (revised)

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I am normally a gold dredger/panner/prospector by nature on here, but I have now turned my attention towards metal detecting. I just recently bought a second hand Garrett Infinium LS from a member on here (Marcus45). Just as I had got the machine, we get slammed with snow which seemed to want to take forever to melt, even after it finally did, the clay ground was frozen solid. So finally, today was warm and the ground thawed out, I had beat a straight path to a farm field that had seen some activity from Hernando De Soto to the Revolutionary war. Sadly, it never produced any coins or relics today, but I did get a screaming loud hit that about blew my eardrums out and and as I scraped some dried grass and leaves to uncover the spot to dig, there lies a plated silver cake/pie type serving utensil with the words "American Silver Co." on the back.

Afterwards I got your typical foil/rusted bolts/shell casings kind of finds. It wasnt anywhere near your back-flip kind of finds as I was hoping to get, but at least I came home with something worth a bit more than a pocket full o' pull tabs.

Note: this post was revised from me finding BIG SILVER to PLATED SILVER, I just found out through research, that it isnt the real deal, which for me, sucks. Oh well, still better then pull tabs I suppose.

Spooooooon.jpg

Upvote 0

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My first hunt ever, results in big silver!

capt pm me i lost your #

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Welcome to this side of the fence. I recently purchased the GPX5000 to explore yours for a while :D

Congrats on the Silver.

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Welcome to this side of the fence. I recently purchased the GPX5000 to explore yours for a while :D

Congrats on the Silver.

Sweet! ;D Also, thank you!

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry i had to be the one to break it to ya man

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
fisher2 said:
sorry i had to be the one to break it to ya man

Thats ok, I appreciated the honesty. I dont want to run around like an idiot thinking I had solid silver, when it was just plated.

Fisher, can you post a picture of that item? I cant seem to find it in my search.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to see your find CC, sounds interesting.

I'm not sure if the guy who you bought the Infinium off of told you how to hunt with it, but in Virginia where I have used mine, I only dig the sweet LOWWWWWWWWW Signals. The loud ones, I usually don't worry about. I'm thinking if the sound is weak, it's deep and it usually is.

I dug a sweet Eagle button at over a foot down. I'll include a picture of it. If you are close to a beach, this detector smokes. You probably are going to dig a lot of trash, but I bet you will be surprised at how many DEEP signals you get and the Great pieces of gold you dig up.

Good Luck & HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Best Eagle Button.jpg
    Best Eagle Button.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 345
  • Best Eagle Button.jpg
    Best Eagle Button.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 345
OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
ringfinder said:
Love to see your find CC, sounds interesting.

I'm not sure if the guy who you bought the Infinium off of told you how to hunt with it, but in Virginia where I have used mine, I only dig the sweet LOWWWWWWWWW Signals. The loud ones, I usually don't worry about. I'm thinking if the sound is weak, it's deep and it usually is.

I dug a sweet Eagle button at over a foot down. I'll include a picture of it. If you are close to a beach, this detector smokes. You probably are going to dig a lot of trash, but I bet you will be surprised at how many DEEP signals you get and the Great pieces of gold you dig up.

Good Luck & HH, Ringfinder

That is very good advice, I don't ignore any of the really low or faint signals, I have a practice from the start, to dig ALL SIGNALS. As the saying goes "He/she who digs the most trash, finds the most treasure". I dig it all man!! :thumbsup:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what item the map? i can try to find the beers for your area i need your town n stuff info though

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
fisher2 said:
what item the map? i can try to find the beers for your area i need your town n stuff info though

NO! The picture of the cake/pie server that I had found! goofball. ;D

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
il look for it some more it was on ebay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread