My first hunt goes from bad to good!

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So yesterday was the first real day that I have gotten to hunt. I just bought my Ace 250 last week and have been itching to go, but the weather down here hasn't really agreed with me. Unfortunately I got off to a pretty bad start, but towards the end of the day things got much better. I decided to check out this old ghost town area down the road from where I live. There is a really run down house that I have been looking at for a while, it looks maybe late 1800's. I knocked on the door of the property owner and said, "Hi! I do metal detecting as a hobby and was wondering...." and got the door slammed in my face. The was a pretty heavy blow to me since it was the first house I have ever asked permission to hunt. (Not to mention my first day detecting since I was a kid.) I almost gave up and went home, but decided to give it one more try. I went to a area where I know that an old school house had been. I believe it was there from the late 1800's through to the 1950's. I asked the caretaker of the area if I could hunt and not only did he say yes, but he pointed out to me where the school has sat on the property and gave me permission to hunt the 17 acres around it! I was pretty excited to say the least. It turns out that he went to school there when he was a kid. I didn't find much in my couple hours of being out there, just a bunch of clad, 1 1950 wheat penny and a lot of 1970's style beer cans, but I had a lot of fun doing it. I know that if I keep at it, I'm sure the area will produce some good finds. On a side note, I was talking to my Grandmother yesterday and it turns out that she went to school at the place that I am hunting. Crazy! The wheat was pretty worn and is at the top of the pic.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 946
Upvote 0

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple no would have been better to take. Rude is the simple thing for some people.

Nice finds!

OP
OP
ftwhite03

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank! Yeah I couldn't believe how rude she was. I would never have done that to someone. Maybe I interrupted her meth binge, who knows?

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know I've found that detecting is kinda like a layer cake, you gotta get through the first layer,then the second, and so forth, Keepa diggin!!! :headbang:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know some people are just naturally mean. I mean...it really is unfortunate that our hobby involves digging holes, but really if you do it right and are considerate of the property I don't see the big deal. I think some people are just afraid you might find something worth money and they will be mad!

Good finds by the way...I'm sure with such history...once you get past the more modern coins you can get to the older ones. You know I've had my detector since last July and still no silver coins. I'm sure it's all a matter of where you hunt and just a matter of getting your coil over it.

OP
OP
ftwhite03

ftwhite03

Oct 15, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. Yeah, I'm not going to let that lady get me down. I was a corrections officer for almost 8 years so I'm used to people being rude lol. Anyway the nice old caretaker more than made up for it. I went back out to the place today but didn't find anything other than some modern clad and a few pieces of junk, but I will keep at it!

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how long you have been hunting. The ACE250 is the same machine that I have and having read the manuals they were very accurate. At the 100 hour mark you and your machine will become well aquainted. Your find will take a quantum leap and your smile will shine brightly. I have made some really neat finds in areas that have less potential than what I am hearing that you have. Just keep going. You will begin to understand what your machine is telling you. My find include 1876 seated liberty quarter, 1943 Standing liberty half dollar, 1908 Barber dime. Many pieces of jewlery both junk and valuable. Keep knocking on those doors and good things will come. HHHH

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the addiction, i just got ace 250 as well and love it, found my first indian head saturday it was an 1888 good luck

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about this hobby you have to just keep on swinging and soon or later your going to put the coil over something good and that keeps you going between good fines. Congrats on the wheat penny there have been many times where a wheat penny would have made my day :laughing9:

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boy those zinc pennies just corrode away to nothing, detectorists in the future will think we had no pennies produced in these years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread