My first hunt of the year.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was finally able to get out for a little while and hit 2 new spots. I didn't get to spend a lot of time at either spot but I had fun. The first spot was around a cemetery out in the woods. The latest date I found on one of the head stones was a person who was born 1852 died in 1873 at 21 years of age. The name was Mary G. Robinson, Jr. I didn't know females could be Jr. or maybe it was a boy named Mary(could be like a boy named Sue) ;D Who knows?? I did find this big hook though. Does anyone know what it is? The second spot I found this thing that says Ford on it. If it were bigger I would say that it was a radiator cap but it's not that big. Anyway, I can't wait to get back. I hope everyone has a find filled year this year.
Happy Hunting,
Ed
DSCF2659.JPG

DSCF2664.JPG

DSCF2642.JPG

DSCF2643.JPG

DSCF2644.JPG

Upvote 0

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i love to go in and clean up old cemetarys when i find them some think i am silly but i talk to the people if they have readable names and tell them what is going on in todays times only ggodstuff and rake and weed eat and broom and cut weeds and sucker bushes and if the stone is a hard stone i even sweep the junk off of the stone if they are confederate i try and do pencil rubbing with butcher paper and pencil and take pictures after i am done with clean up i have one i know of that needs a good cleaning this spring it is a wired cemetary though most of them died a tear apart on same dayand month and some died ten years apart same month and day

ckmfarms

Greenie
Jan 17, 2010
the best find was the cementary ...i love the old ones..just to look at the dates and wonderi why some died so young ..was it " natural causes " ..yellow fever...whooping cough...farming accident..so much runs thru your mind..i always keep a bottle of simple green and some soft scrubbers in my truck and i clean at least one headstone ...straighten any flowers that were left ..most old cementaries dont even have flowers ..if its not winter and theres some wild flowers near ill cut each grave a flower and leave it resting on the tombstone..

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. Good luck when you get back there.
Dman
Dman

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I love the old cemeterys as well. I had a couple of local teenagers tell me about this one. They found it riding their 4wheelers. It looks like someone added the fence years after the last grave in an attempt to clean it up and preserve it but even it's old. There are many graves outside the fenced area as well.

SkyPirate said:
The hook might be 4 picking up hay bales
I think your right. It's amazing all the different types of hooks you can come up with if you do a search for antique hay hooks.

dfx willy said:
to funny plehbah!! the ford thing i think is a axel bearing cap. willy
Thanks for the input. I found it after searching and it's a piece to a 1910's-20's ford hub cap.

Thanks again and as always,
HAPPY HUNTING!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting name you found?? Love and respect those and all burial grounds. Seams like so many people died way too young in those days. If only we had modern medicine of today around back then. The ford thing looks to be a ford hub cap center.........my guess. Love those old square nails too. I must have dug a million it seams. Glad that you got out during January. I may venture out sat. as it's going to be hot here in Ohio..........40's and 50's on Sunday before the temps nose dive again. HH Ron

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Possum! :hello: Great to see you out and hunting! We've got a few old cemetaries around here. If you can look at the platt maps, sometimes you can match up some of those names that are listed. That's pretty neat. Congrats on the finds and good luck on your next outing.

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread