My first hunt, wheat cents

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
Evening everyone. I won't bore you with this sort of thing again, but I wanted to share the results of my first day detecting.

I started out with Tom (who I met in this forum) at the beach and we didn't have much luck. Poor conditions to be looking around anyways, so I will blame it on conditions instead of skill... skill will be to blame from now on. :wink:

When I returned home, Tom suggested I try the detector in my yard and just see what I find. It would be a good opportunity to learn my new machine (Minelab Explorer II) and begin to learn the tones. I had already planned on this, so I readily agreed.

The end result was: Two bullets of very different calibers, 1967 quarter, two dimes (1986, 1997) and my prize of the day 6 pennies including two wheat cents (1957, 1941). The rest was old junk, which I can assure you I tirelessly dug for. The funniest one was the long piece of metal... I had no idea what it was when I got a reading on it, and grew more and more confused as I looked to pinpoint the signal with my probe.

The wheats are exciting to me because it means I may be able to find other old, fun things in the yard here. I am 40% done with the front yard and have not started in the back yet. I came inside due to darkness and mosquitoes.

Front-Yard-Finds.jpg

Upvote 0

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheaties on the first hunt! Good finds.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Matt, nice meeting you. Hope this machine is a "fit" for your type/style/needs. If not, those Exp. II's keep their value, and you can trade any which direction you want via classified on the various hobbyists forum. But ... so long as you "got the bug", you'll be like the rest of us addicts, and stubbornly hold out for those goodies :)

And let's see: you found a zinc penny on the beach, as your first ever solo coin, and then go to your own yard, and find a wheatie next?? The rest of us will tell you "that's cheating!" No one gets an old coin for their second only coin! You gotta "pay your dues" and dig 1000 clad first, before progressing to wheaties, silver, etc... ;D

Oh, and the forum rules around here are quite simple: You pay me 50% of all your finds, to detect in this county for the priveledge of getting to detect here :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Today I went out with my sister to the beach to get her out of the house and troll around. Today we dug up a bunch of clad, so I hope Tom is happy... We also found a diving belt with 5-10 lb weights all around it. It was over 2 feet deep and very heavy/hard to get out. I tried to give it a yank and broke the rubber belt (the buckle was already separate). I left the majority of it in the ground, because it was getting to be a huge hole and an equal pain.

Day2.JPG

50% is a little steep, but I will start a tab for you. With any luck you will be able to buy a golden bridge in San Francisco in no time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread