My first impressions of the Omega

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000 & Classic ID
I traded a Golden uMax for the Omega, of course within the next week Tesoro decided they could mod the unit for 50 bux to spread out the tones. Back to the Omega...

I really like the recovery speed compared to my DFX and especially my SE Pro. I have used it for a total of about 3 hours, 2 were right at freezing and it was sleeting the whole time so I don't count that time. The second outing I had better weather and really felt like listening to the headphones. I have hunted my Dad's place for about 2.5 years with a DFX, Classic IDX Pro, ACE 250, Golden uMax and SE Pro, I have found around 130 wheat cents and 0 silver other than a war nickel. i hunted the wheat infested area for about 40 minutes last weekend and found 2 more wheats in heavy iron trash, I know that I have been over them with other machines yet they were still there. I have found that it loves rusty crown caps, TID at 84 every time, very annoying as this is where wheats and dimes appear to be. The caps do produce a telltale low tone either at the beginning or the end of the pass over the cap, it is very distinct! A little disc, 15 to 17, seems to work very well. I really like the tones set to d3, good crisp high tone... But it is a little course sounding compared to the SE Pro, but then again what isn't. The machine is very light weight, the balance is much better than the SE but not as good as the DFX. The construction feels a little cheap, hope it does not break. :)

Over all, I think I will be very happy with this machine. I would like to see an elliptical coil for it, something in the 5x7 or 5x8 range. Would like to try the F5 elliptical on the machine, same parent company and same freq... Maybe?

HH Matt

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the review Matt! Teknetics and Fisher make great machines!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
mattw said:
I traded a Golden uMax for the Omega, of course within the next week Tesoro decided they could mod the unit for 50 bux to spread out the tones. Back to the Omega...

I really like the recovery speed compared to my DFX and especially my SE Pro. I have used it for a total of about 3 hours, 2 were right at freezing and it was sleeting the whole time so I don't count that time. The second outing I had better weather and really felt like listening to the headphones. I have hunted my Dad's place for about 2.5 years with a DFX, Classic IDX Pro, ACE 250, Golden uMax and SE Pro, I have found around 130 wheat cents and 0 silver other than a war nickel. i hunted the wheat infested area for about 40 minutes last weekend and found 2 more wheats in heavy iron trash, I know that I have been over them with other machines yet they were still there. I have found that it loves rusty crown caps, TID at 84 every time, very annoying as this is where wheats and dimes appear to be. The caps do produce a telltale low tone either at the beginning or the end of the pass over the cap, it is very distinct! A little disc, 15 to 17, seems to work very well. I really like the tones set to d3, good crisp high tone... But it is a little course sounding compared to the SE Pro, but then again what isn't. The machine is very light weight, the balance is much better than the SE but not as good as the DFX. The construction feels a little cheap, hope it does not break. :)

Over all, I think I will be very happy with this machine. I would like to see an elliptical coil for it, something in the 5x7 or 5x8 range. Would like to try the F5 elliptical on the machine, same parent company and same freq... Maybe?

HH Matt
Tha is a good question will the F5 coils work on the Omega........... I will try to check that out unless some one here knows the answer to that question ??

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
F5 searchcoils are electrically the same as the Omega coils, however earlier F5's had a push-on connector rather than the screw-on connector so you have to make sure you're getting the one with the right connector. The GB/G2 machines use DD searchcoils (but not concentrics) from this same searchcoil series and have always used screw-on connectors so any factory searchcoil sold for the GB/G2 will work on an Omega.

--Dave J.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread