GTSkip

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2014
Kerrville, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(this happened not too long before I decided to get a metal detector and all the self-education that comes with it).

I throw all my change into a pot at the end of the day, and every year or so I cash it in. Usually comes to about $200. Last time I did it I took my pot to Walmart to cash it all in. As I was doing so the automated coin counter spit out a dime. I looked at it and threw it back into the machine... and the machine spit it out again! Once more I threw it in with the remaining coins and again the machine spit it out.

So I took a closer look and.... well, you know by now it was a Roosevelt dime! (sorry for the 'Jefferson in the title of this posting- brain fart). I guess it might be called my first find but that would be cheating, wouldn't it? lol

GTSkip

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
At least you caught it.

I clearly remember a decade or so ago when Coinstars first made an appearance. I only paid cash for things back then, and I'd saved up a few hundred dollars worth of change. I got a lot of coins back - dimes, quarters, even some halves IIRC. After repeatedly trying to feed them to the machine, I gave up in frustration and just spent them at the store. I now know that those were the ones that I should have held on to.

More recently, I heard about CRH and decided to check the change that I already had laying around to see if it was the sort of thing that I'd enjoy doing. I didn't have that much (about $40 - I don't pay with cash much these days) and right there in my change jar was a 1944 Jefferson. I hung on to it this time, and I've since given it some company. I guess it works both ways.

It's a nice thing to know though. I often find myself checking the edges of change in the tills at various stores while I'm making my purchases, and I seem to be on something of a hot streak with picking up pre-'82 pennies off the ground recently. I wish that I had the same sort of luck with silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread