My first Merc

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a trash can I bought and placed near a lottery machine at a local store I frequent. I pull out the looser tickets then enter them for a second chance drawing. Though I have never even remotely hit the second chance, I find winning tickets thrown away as well as money on a regular basis. Enough to make it worth my time to keep coming back. Recently they added a coin star machine that counts coins. People end up with coins the machine will not accept. They just throw them into the trash can. Coins such as Chucky Cheese tokens are a high count item. Coins from other countries show up with surprising regularity too. Been keeping the foreign coins you never know..
So today I stop by for my daily visit, and find a modern dime, then some pennys all glued together, then.. There it was. I thought it was a foreign coin but I got it out, and it is a 1937 Merc Dime! I have never found one in all my years detecting here in Commifornia because it is such a new state old coins are hard to come by. I just picked it up. It is pretty well worn from all these years, but hey! it's mine now baby! YEA! I'dpost a pic but do not know how. I'll try to do it on my Ipad tomorrow.

Upvote 13

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
tn_coins.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE FIND DiverRick :..
Thanks for sharing!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like'n it....Commiefornia huh. Awesome !

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! I love your way of thinking. Hard to believe you haven't dug one! Not even in curb strips medians?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on plucking that coin from a certain trip to the garbage dump.

OP
OP
D

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have many curve strips here. To new Over in sacto they have some in older areas that always produce coins, but just modern coins.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
California isn't as old as the states out east bud, but it's definitely old enough for Merc dimes lol. 1916-1945....yeah California was definitely around then. I find plenty in the fresno area. You need to hunt older sites...not the school and park built in 1983. And go to the older part of town and hunt the CURB strips and I guarantee you'll find old coins! Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread