My first metal detecting excursion....ever.

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well Today i de-virginized my new detector. And my new detector de-virginized me. Its a good feeling. Anyway i live in california and so naturally i hit up the beach. I found 12 cents and a lot of aluminum and a few bottle caps. not very exciting. But i am pretty excited in general about this new hobby. I told my fiance if i find a treasure chest i'll share some of it with you. haha.
Since nothing i picked up was cool, i'll show you the cool sunset.

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpg
    IMG_5012.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta start somewhere. Welcome to the addiction.

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Just got my first detector a few weeks back so I'm knowing how you're feeling. I'm just down the coast from you a ways. Keep with it and with the great attitude bro, finds will come. I've already bagged about 30 bucks in clad including 2 dollar coins. No gold or silver yet. Did score 2 wheats so far. Keep us posted. If you ever care to link up and trying something besides the beach, send me a p/m.

HH,

~TG~

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome....You can never go back now.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Welcome to an addicting hobby and the forum. Keep that attitude and you'll do great.
Good Luck!
Mike

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome......(now the bad news)......it's too late to put it down.
Been at it 30 + years, and the desire to find the old stuff is worse then when I began. (That's what the wife says, anyhoo.)
If you are ever in Korea, let me know first. Love to send you back to the States with a pocket or two full of 300/400 year old coins.
Happy happy hunting. hikeinmts

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Stick with it Brudda the my first season I found a Connecticut colonial copper , the photo on my profile...

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Welcome to the forum. Even if you don't find much the scenery and the hunt is always nice. Keep at it and you will be pleasantly surprised when that large copper penny or gold ring shows up 8)

OP
OP
yournewneighbor

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
thanks for all the encouraging messages! I might head back out today, its my day off so i figure theres no better time for it. :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for history or wedding rings, get out in those fields!

OP
OP
yournewneighbor

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
CRUSADER said:

I would love to find either. all the places that i could find history here in california are either get lucky at the beach, hit up the hills and valleys (definitely need a buddy) or find a ghost town thats not on State property.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yournewneighbor said:
CRUSADER said:

I would love to find either. all the places that i could find history here in california are either get lucky at the beach, hit up the hills and valleys (definitely need a buddy) or find a ghost town thats not on State property.

Start researching its part of the fun, & will lead you places you never considered. Its the key to success :wink:

OP
OP
yournewneighbor

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
i have been and i think its fun. But i'm as new to researching detecting locations as i am to actually detecting them. So i'm trying to work up my skill before i start asking some old lady if i can go digging around in her backyard.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yournewneighbor said:
i have been and i think its fun. But i'm as new to researching detecting locations as i am to actually detecting them. So i'm trying to work up my skill before i start asking some old lady if i can go digging around in her backyard.

Focus on the ploughed fields where homestead's once stood. Forget the backyards unless they are big & old.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Michael... so we meet again! Muahahahaha! I like how you used "de-virginized" :D
And hold up, you promised me a share of the treasure chest too?!! Your fiancée is gonna be pissed at me! ;D
So am I still going to be held liable if you get obsessed?? ::)

Bran <><

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first taste is always free. Except for the cost of the batteries. That's how they get you.
Carl

OP
OP
yournewneighbor

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
CRUSADER said:
yournewneighbor said:

Focus on the ploughed fields where homestead's once stood. Forget the backyards unless they are big & old.

i live in agriculture land. Theres no ploughed fields i can hit up without digging up somebody's strawberries. The land around me is all US department of agriculture and National Forest and i cant dig up anything older than 50 years. I'm google earthing it for places to check out. I need a so cal MD buddy.

Sure brandon we can share. i mean a treasure chest has lots of stuff in it right. :) i couldnt keep all of blackbeards booty to myself. hahah

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yournewneighbor said:
CRUSADER said:
yournewneighbor said:

i live in agriculture land. Theres no ploughed fields i can hit up without digging up somebody's strawberries. The land around me is all US department of agriculture and National Forest and i cant dig up anything older than 50 years. I'm google earthing it for places to check out. I need a so cal MD buddy.

Sure brandon we can share. i mean a treasure chest has lots of stuff in it right. :) i couldnt keep all of blackbeards booty to myself. hahah

Clearly wait until the strawberries are picked :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread