fdcobra93

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife was nice enough to buy me a metal detector for my birthday last may. We love to camp and every time we would go out for a weekend or a vacation the metal detector would come along. I really enjoyed doing it, you find bottle caps, pull tabs and all the junk. Anyway last weekend in my front yard I found a 1943 German coin, I was excited. Then I thought how did it get here. This past Friday night I had been getting a coin hit behind a pine tree, a hit I have been getting for the longest time....but could never find anything.
Well - this past Christmas Santa brought me a pin-pointer....so I figured I would check behind the pine tree again. Well I dig about an 8 inch deep hole and a coin pops up. I thought it was a quarter, but it was bigger. So I pick it up start brushing the dirt off and I see one cent on the back. I almost tripped over my feet running in the house. I looked at it under the light and it was an 1803 large cent. I almost fell off the chair. Sorry for the yapping, but when I figure out how to post pics I will post them. This is cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
F

fdcobra93

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10253790_10202499115057913_7481945368857848247_n.jpg

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Looks to be in perty good shape too!! Can you get a pic of the other side as well? Great find!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I've been detecting for 11 years...

I'd trade any coin I've ever found to dig that coin with my detector.

GREAT FIND. Truly awesome.

Any more details? For example, what kind of detector you got?

What state was it found in?

Deerhunter24

OP
OP
F

fdcobra93

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Front and Back images.... As for details - I found it with a Garrett Ace 350 and Garrett Pro-pointer. I live in Massachusetts - Western Mass to be exact! Fun times! As you can see the front is "over exposed" on the picture - but you get the idea.....it appears to be in decent shape.
1803 Coin Front 2.jpg 1803 Coin back.jpg

OP
OP
F

fdcobra93

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was funny, it was behind a pine tree that my grandfather and I planted many years ago. I just never thought I would find something like that. Especially in my own back yard....

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin just found an 1803 myself 2 days ago , there's a very valualble variety have it looked at!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread