My first old find

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't much but I was sure happy.

Went to my folks for dinner. They live on a small man made lake which was farm field until 20 years ago. Most of the ground is what was taken out of the hole for the lake. Found a spot which looked to be at original ground level so I concentrated on that. Found two pennies and everything else was typical junk. When i walked back to my parents I was inspecting the pennies which were still covered in dirt. Noticed one of them was a green color and rinsed it in the lake. Turns out to be a 1905 Indian Head Cent. Super pumped for my first old find. Everything up til now has been modern clad. Not a whopper but definitely a keeper for me!

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

Upvote 4

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing better than the 1st greenie!!!!That's a great first hunt :hello2:= ED

oddrod

Oct 31, 2012
Derby KS
Detector(s) used
Brother Bobs Tesoro Deleon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, still on my bucket list

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Wishing you many more to come!:hello2:

Machxin

Apr 26, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on the great find! Think of that penny, it is over 100 years old, the history in it is simply amazing, that is what always gets me, the history in the treasure.

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've given a closer look at this coin. I can see lots of detail and make out most of "liberty" on the head dress. Seems like I should try to clean it up a bit. Not worried about value but don't want to ruin the coin. Will have to read up on cleaning.

Yeah, I'm definitely hooked. I was actually hooked after my first coin spill dug out of my front yard. This just got me stoked to hit my in-laws homestead dating to 1864. It was occupied until 1950s. House burned down in 70s and property was sold to farmer. Got permission two weeks ago and just waiting for field to dry a bit. That should be a fun one...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread