My first pocket watch! A bit different

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the local thrift store today and picked up my first pocket watch! It is a Bull's Eye in a leather wrist strap. I have never seen anything like the strap before. It was $10.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476826511.094933.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476826523.777709.jpg
Anyone have any information about the wrist strap? Also this thing ticks crazy loud. I have music on and can still hear all 4 ticks a second.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
The strap kind of looks like it might be handcrafted, the leather looks older & there are a few stitches that look larger. I could see someone crafting such a strap to enable the watch to be used on a wrist.

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.
I think those bands are called bunds.
trench watch bund

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow haha that is a big pocket watch to be wearing on your wrist. It ticks loud because it is a 0 jeweled movement most likely and they tick extremely loud. The pocket watch itself is like $10-30... as for the strap it looks like an original leather strap that was made to hold the pocket watch looks rough but still cool! Most likely handmade whenever the pocket watch was produced which to me seems to be 1976? https://clockhistory.com/0/westclox/series/series-46-1.html yours is style 3. Here is one on eBay I think is identical to yours Serviced 1976 Westclox Bulls Eye Mech Winding Pocket Watch Made in USA | eBay If it's your first pocket watch and you like it keep it and maybe you'll collect more!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool pocket watch wrist strap . It looks vintage and is worth more than the Westclock watch. Put some leather cream on it as it looks dried out. A collector would love to have this.

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow haha that is a big pocket watch to be wearing on your wrist. It ticks loud because it is a 0 jeweled movement most likely and they tick extremely loud. The pocket watch itself is like $10-30... as for the strap it looks like an original leather strap that was made to hold the pocket watch looks rough but still cool! Most likely handmade whenever the pocket watch was produced which to me seems to be 1976? https://clockhistory.com/0/westclox/series/series-46-1.html yours is style 3. Here is one on eBay I think is identical to yours Serviced 1976 Westclox Bulls Eye Mech Winding Pocket Watch Made in USA | eBay If it's your first pocket watch and you like it keep it and maybe you'll collect more!

Thanks! I'm thinking about taking it to a coin show I'm going to soon and seeing if I can trade the watch and strap for a nicer watch.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way this is how the first wristwatches were done. It was primarily military personnel. I believe the earliest documented photograph of a pocket watch as a wrist watch is from 1879.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions