My first REALE!!! Never thought that was possible in Missouri!

Joshc5

Greenie
Nov 30, 2013
MidWest
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow still shocked got a Carlos IIII half reale today along with some more early buttons and a shoulder epaulets.
Any ideas on the date? I believe the last number is a 9 but cant see the first 3 letters.
Also wasn't sure about the star its some sort of pin.
photo 32.JPG photo 31.JPG
photo 33.JPG photo 34.JPG

Upvote 9

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find/s ..congrats.. I was on cloud nine when I found mine..

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely fantastic find! Not to mention you found it here in the midwest! I found a counterfeit pewter Mexican reale in a field recently, but I'm still waiting to find the reale thing. Can you tell us a little about the site? --Tin Foil

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh there's plenty of Spanish here in Missouri, but they are definitely elusive. Congratulations on finding yours. They tend to spoil you for newer silver. After a few Spanish, it's hard to get quite as excited as before over a Mercury when one pops out. I'm up to 5 Spanish in SE Missouri and am hoping to hit a few more this year yet. I can remember almost exactly, to within a few inches probably, where I found each and every one of them! (And thanks to good records....even the date of the find). We have to remember that our state was part of the Louisianna purchase. Before that time, most of the state was traded back and forth between Spain and France. Lots of Colonial history here, just hard to find sites that old which haven't been built over. Look for farms in your area that had homesteads on them, particularly around springs or fresh running water.
GL and HH.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
If you can get some of the detail on the reverse, you can figure out the date range. Do some internet searches on spanish silver to find out the mint marks, then, since you know it's a Carolus IIII, you should be able to nail down a date range. My dateless Carolus IIII one reale is from the Mexico mint and has to range between 1801-3 according to the reference book. Good luck!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first reale. Great recoveries there. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh there's plenty of Spanish here in Missouri, but they are definitely elusive. Congratulations on finding yours. They tend to spoil you for newer silver. After a few Spanish, it's hard to get quite as excited as before over a Mercury when one pops out. I'm up to 5 Spanish in SE Missouri and am hoping to hit a few more this year yet. I can remember almost exactly, to within a few inches probably, where I found each and every one of them! (And thanks to good records....even the date of the find). We have to remember that our state was part of the Louisianna purchase. Before that time, most of the state was traded back and forth between Spain and France. Lots of Colonial history here, just hard to find sites that old which haven't been built over. Look for farms in your area that had homesteads on them, particularly around springs or fresh running water.
GL and HH.

Good advice on how to find the earliest homesteads. Regarding the Spanish, remember too that Spanish silver was legal until 1857 and during the 1830s there was more Spanish silver circulating than there was US silver. When you see a Spanish silver with that much wear on it you have to figure it was lost well into the 1800s.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds and congrats on your first Spanish silver. May your next one be a beauty!

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find. Replying to your star pin question, I believe you have a membership star for the Girl Scouts - represents one year of membership - scroll down on this site for the ones on khaki fabric to see the older version.

Girl Scout Girl Level Pins

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a really (no pun intended) nice reale , congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread