My First Seated Dime . . . 2/25/09

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX - Fisher CZ 3D with Sunray FZ-1 probe
Hello Everyone !

Ever have one of those days when nothing seems to go right, well, today was my day. ??? I had a nice story with several pictures all ready to put on TreasureNet but I couldn't get it to work. :icon_scratch: Here is part of the story and a picture of my dime.

After work on Wednesday Feb. 25TH with the :icon_sunny: sun shining and a cool breezs blowing I found myself once again detecting this park. After digging a 1945-S Merc Dime, two Wheats and .11 cents within the first hour I continued on with the hopes of finding at least one more piece of silver before the day ended.
Within the next fifteen minutes I got a nice deep high tone and a good enough four way sound to make me investagate further. :thumbsup: I then pin pointed and got a depth reading of 8 inches but it sounded deeper. Needless to say " I'm digging it ".
After digging my plug and checking the hole, it was still there. I dug out one more scoop, sweep over it and got a beep. I broke the clump of dirt in half and saw a tiny bit of muddy black silver. I carefully picked it out and wiped some of the mud off to see what it was. All I could see was ONE DIME with some type of wreath around it and thought cool, a Barber dime. I didn't want to take a chance on scratching it so I put it away in my coin container and continued hunting.
It wasn't until I got home that evening and was running it under the water that I discovered exactly what it was, a 1887 Seated Dime. LOL ! Needless to say , yes, I did a bit of a happy dance !

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting ! Stephen

1887 dime.jpg

1887back.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice....

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
HolyDiver said:
That seated cleaned up well. Congrats ;D

I agree it did. All I used was a little water and Baking Soda on my finger and lightly tapped it, not rubbed, about 25 to 35 times then rinsed and repeated four times.

This is a picture of one of the other dimes that I dug in the same park, both were about the same black iron color before cleaning.

seated merc.jpg

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy for you brother. If you could just bottle that feeling. Congrats.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Thanks Everyone !

It 's a GREAT feeling to finally be in the Seated Club, never thought I would ever dig one. For those of you who are still wanting to dig one, my advice is don't ever give up, you never know what you might find in the next hole you dig.

Happy Hunting !

Stephen

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I know the feeling, my oldest coin is a 1885 seated dime. About the same depth, or deeper. A big part of what keeps me marching around looking for more old sites.

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
Great find! :thumbsup: I'm sure it was quite a nice surprise when you were cleaning it and found it to be a seated dime. WTG!

Big E

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread