My First Seated Half Dollar

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Hi yall. Well I dug my first seated half dollar this weekend. It all started about a 2 months ago when I contacted American Coin Hunting and GOIO about me coming up to visit after being gone a year from the area. They told me to come on up and we would hit a few spots that they had been looking at. I made my flight arraingments, and after a few weeks and a nice uneventful flight I was sitting at ACH's (Dave) house drinking a few cold ones and eating Popeye's chicken. We got up at 530 in the morning and headed out to get GOIO and breakfast :coffee2:. We ate on the way to the first spot and discussed what we might find. Little did we know what was waiting for us. We got our gear on and headed out into the woods. We looked around, walked along a trail and decided to spread out and see what we could find. I turned on the Etrac, put the coil to the ground and got a signal right off the bat. It kept pinging at 7-47 at 3 inches so I decided that it was well worth digging up. ACH saw me checking the signal out and came over to see what I might have. I told him it was a 7-47 and we both knew what that might mean. I stuck the shovel into the dirt making sure I had plenty of room between it and the target. I flipped the plug and a disc popped right out. At first I thought I had a token, even when I first picked it up I thought it was lite for a half. I didnt want to get to excited but when I saw the eagle I knew I had a half dollar. It wasnt until I turned it over and cleaned some of the dirt off did I really know I had a Seated Half Dollar. My first and absolutely best find to date. I went on to find an additional 8 more silvers that day including a 1909 Barber dime, 2 mercs, 4 rosies and a Washington quarter.
It was a great time and a great weekend spent with two of my best friends in the metal detecting world. Once again I want to thank ACH and GOIO for the great times we had and the great hospitality that was shown to this Texan.
Thanks for looking. TMAN...
...... .................... ........................... ........................... .................................
:icon_thumright: FULL DIG Captured by ........AmericanCoinHunting...........As well as the Macro Pictures below :icon_thumleft:.
............. ............................................. .................................. ......................................

Attachments

• Pic Obv.JPG
    Pic Obv.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,333
  • Pic rev.JPG
    Pic rev.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,328
Upvote 0

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find...Still waiting for my first seated here in New Hampshire...Congrats

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Well there might be another signal in there, but let's just look at this one for a while." ;D :headbang: That's sweet and that's what it's all about, enjoying your time with friends.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tracy........Me & Greg went back to the next to last spot we hunted (But found nothing).......I found six silver when you were on the bus for the Airport & Greg found 5 silver there the next weekend & a big silver spill & half at the other place later in the day.....We should have stayed a bit longer man !.........I'll have the video's up (Including the one that shows THIS find) In just a couple weeks...Take care TMAN

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tracy, I still have not put the whole video of this hunt together...But I promise to try to have it uploaded to You Tube by next Friday October 7th,2011........It was such an exciting hunt,that even tho it will take most of a day to edit & make the video...It only took an hour to put together a Trailer video of the hunt for you...I did it in (imovie)...& I think it makes you look like an Action Hero ...L.O.L............
It was fun making it,and I hope that those that watch it have fun as well....Hope this holds you over till the 7th...I am going to try to do a slow motion footage of when that half poped out of the plug,to answer questions any sceptic may have...Congratulations again man..Hope you enjoy your imovie Trailer...Dave

OP
OP
tmanfromtexas

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
AmericanCoinHunting said:
Hey Tracy, I still have not put the whole video of this hunt together...But I promise to try to have it uploaded to You Tube by next Friday October 7th,2011........It was such an exciting hunt,that even tho it will take most of a day to edit & make the video...It only took an hour to put together a Trailer video of the hunt for you...I did it in (imovie)...& I think it makes you look like an Action Hero ...L.O.L............
It was fun making it,and I hope that those that watch it have fun as well....Hope this holds you over till the 7th...I am going to try to do a slow motion footage of when that half poped out of the plug,to answer questions any sceptic may have...Congratulations again man..Hope you enjoy your imovie Trailer...Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDonoMoyLE&feature=channel_video_title

OMG Dave, That was freakin awesome. I showed it to my wife and she was saying that to was to cool. You may have a new career as a movie producer. I cant wait to see the rest of it. TMAN...

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmanfromtexas said:
AmericanCoinHunting said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDonoMoyLE&feature=channel_video_title

OMG Dave, That was freakin awesome. I showed it to my wife and she was saying that to was to cool. You may have a new career as a movie producer. I cant wait to see the rest of it. TMAN...
I am happy you and your wife enjoyed that little bit of fun I had making it....Did you notice the END Credits ?....LOL...I had fun there as well...Expecially the (Costume Designer )...L.O.L.....
When I put the clips together...I am going to do your first dig (of that seated Half)...In Slow Motion....I noticed in the original footage...It almost looked like you had it Palmed,and Dropped it on the plug.....NOW I leave this post up for the Trolls... >:(...But The Slow motion footage ( will tell ALL )....Cause I Know what happenned....Not only was I there...But YOU let me go over that Target with my detector,before I started the footage on you detecting it again....Amazing find !...AND.......Your FIRST Target of YOUR first hunt with us in over a year...!

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
1235CE said:
Very nice find, congrats!!........however, watching you rub and rub that dirt off the coin made me throw up in my mouth a little. :help:

You just turned a coin that could have been problem-free slabbed into a hairlined mess......Sorry to be harsh but man, please, please don't do that!!!! It sat undisturbed in the ground for over 100 years, it surely could have waited another hour before you gently rinsed it in the sink at home.

Again, congrats on a great find! :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

Thank god I thought I was the only one. I was just gonna not say and learn from others mistakes. Can hear the silver being scraped off that big beautiful b****.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Gorgeous coin! Congrats to you and glad it was a good day for all. I loved the videos and looking forward to the complete version. HH Andi

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hehe, Yes!!! I saw your guys' video a couple days ago, digging big-silver pocket spills, thinking there might not be much left for your buddy when he got there... Well, it looks like it was a win-win-win for everyone! Awesome site, great digs, and looks like a great time for a good group of friends digging nice old silver in good dirt. Love the videos, keep 'em coming!

Jayson from CA

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good trip, well worth it.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
awesome job on the seated half dollar! I am glad your starting to make videos! I have another metal detecting subscriber to watch!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is the way to start a hunt off.

That thing is sweet and still on my wish list.

That's some good guys there, to take you to a spot like that.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
Very nice find, congrats!!........however, watching you rub and rub that dirt off the coin made me throw up in my mouth a little. :help:

You just turned a coin that could have been problem-free slabbed into a hairlined mess......Sorry to be harsh but man, please, please don't do that!!!! It sat undisturbed in the ground for over 100 years, it surely could have waited another hour before you gently rinsed it in the sink at home.

Again, congrats on a great find! :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

Agreed!

All I saw in the video was scratch scratch scratch.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to watch the vid but my internet is to slow here. Beautiful old silver!!

OP
OP
tmanfromtexas

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Thanks everyone for the nice words. I really had a good time with Dave and Greg hunting with them again. It had been a long time. The vid Dave made was awesome and he has some great vids on his YT page. As far as cleaning the coin, it is not something I normally do but under the circumstances I knew that most 1/2s are only worth melt value and I dont plan to look at this one under a microscope any time soon. :laughing9: HH.. TMAN...

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmanfromtexas said:
As far as cleaning the coin, it is not something I normally do but under the circumstances I knew that most 1/2s are only worth melt value and I dont plan to look at this one under a microscope any time soon. :laughing9: HH.. TMAN...
what do you mean most halves are only worth melt value? Not sure what you mean by that? I have found a couple semi key date halves worth far more than melt, gotta be careful, as you never know what coin you may have just dug.

Anyhow, congrats on an awesome recovery! :hello2: :hello2:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
tmanfromtexas said:
As far as cleaning the coin, it is not something I normally do but under the circumstances I knew that most 1/2s are only worth melt value and I dont plan to look at this one under a microscope any time soon. :laughing9: HH.. TMAN...
what do you mean most halves are only worth melt value? Not sure what you mean by that? I have found a couple semi key date halves worth far more than melt, gotta be careful, as you never know what coin you may have just dug.

Anyhow, congrats on an awesome recovery! :hello2: :hello2:

My thoughts exactly, but I didn't want to be the first one to say it. Take a look at many of the early Walkers and they are worth some decent cash. Sure, a Franklin or Kennedy I can understand, but the rest deserves at least a little respect until you at least know what it is. I'm glad I didn't scratch my 1916-S Walker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread