My First Shield Nickel

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
KKC got out today to an old standby site. I got two large cents there the last time we were there.

We would have liked to have been swinging on a new site, but we're just stuck in a permission rut. We got denied permission for the 4th time in one week.

I found this 1867 Shield nickel and 1883 V nickel today. The nickels were found within one feet of each other. This was my first Shield, so I'll take it. Yeah, it is not the time period that I'm looking for, but it will be welcomed in my growing collection. :icon_sunny:

First Shield Nickel 004.JPG

First Shield Nickel 008.JPG

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir Kyle,
Way to go on your first shield nickel buddy. :thumbsup: I still haven't found one of those, but what do you expect after it took me years to find an LC. :dontknow: ;D
You guys need to bring a small child (not Chris) or a hot looking girl with you to win over the property owners. I'll be glad to throw on a dress if you let me dig a few Colonials. :icon_queen:
Congrats,
Dug

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
like the stones song " you can't always get what you want" but they aregreat coins and good finds never the less Kyle and just look at the pewter spoon bowl with the shell motif it is a late 1700's design that was huge-ly popular in the 1780's and 90's so your in the right area my friend . you guys will hit copper next time i can feel it . :headbang:

Dan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Kyle !

I Not only found my First one Early this year
I Found my Second one Later this year.

Hopefully You Get out some more
before the weather takes a Dump
on us. & Maybe get another Now that you Heard
the sound.

Jeff

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess a Shield nickel is "Post Worthy." :laughing9: I guess I had a decent day as well, considering I dug 2 "Fattie" IHs, a thin IH, and a nice Flying Eagle cent out of the same hole. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help: I am due for a copper! :dontknow: :help:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, if it's a first than at least it's something! :thumbsup: I did cross that one off several years ago but never dug a Merc dime. (but I'm not looking too hard for it) ;D

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Iron Patch said:
Agree, if it's a first than at least it's something! :thumbsup: I did cross that one off several years ago but never dug a Merc dime. (but I'm not looking too hard for it) ;D
IP, I'll trade you the thousand or so Merc dimes I found over the years for the 1 cob you found. :thumbsup:
Chris

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice shield nickle. Congrats......

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Iron Patch said:
IP, I'll trade you the thousand or so Merc dimes I found over the years for the 1 cob you found. :thumbsup:
Chris

If you have a 16d or two I'm sure we could figure something out. :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
I guess a Shield nickel is "Post Worthy." :laughing9: I guess I had a decent day as well, considering I dug 2 "Fattie" IHs, a thin IH, and a nice Flying Eagle cent out of the same hole. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help: I am due for a copper! :dontknow: :help:

Kirk

yea they come up in the same range as the Fatties.
Would say your Way overdue for a Copper Kirk.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that find especially after digging many years without finding one.. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread