MY FIRST SILVER COIN FROM THE LARGE AREA (Quick Update)

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Went back today to the large area that has been scraped and detected for 3 hours. I finally found my first silver coin today, 1962D Rosie and 3 wheaties 1926, 1953D,and 1956. It's not a Merc or Barber,but I was still very excited.

While I was detecting I heard something comming near me,and I had my headphones on so I wasn't sure what direction it was comming from. I turned around and there was a man with a small dog. He said hi, it's me again and I thought again? Then I remember the guy in the pick-up truck from the night before that wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself because it got dark out and I was still detecting. He said I brought you something, and he handed me an ice cold bottle of water and said I thought you could needed it. He said he has been watching me detect the last three days, and pointed to his house across the street from the area I was detecting. The dog was really cute and friendly and kept giving me kisses. lol

Then he said I know where a ring was lost 20 years ago; at a bar in the gravel parking lot. As salt was being thrown the ring slipped off. He said the place and parking lot have not changed,it's probably still there. He said he wished he had a metal detector to search for it and said it's 2 1/2 kt pear shaped diamond worth $10,000. He said if you find it we can sell it and split the money. I said if it's found we'd have to find a place to sell it and then he said I'm a jeweler and he wouldn't have any problem selling it. I said if I find it I'll let you know. He gave me the infromation to where it is located so I checked out the area tonight. I'm going to see if I can detect there tomorrow.

As I'm leaving the area a man and his wife walked passed and he asked what I had found and I told him mostly wheat cents and regular memorial cents. Then he said are you using a Garrett and I said yes an Ace 250. He said I have that machine and several others, maybe I'll come up here tonight and give it a try. He also had seen me detecting for the last few days. So I went home after 3 hours of detecting to change clothes(it was in the upper 80's today) and get something to drink. I went back an hour later and he had arrived with a Whites XLT and the Ace 250 in his hands. He tried both but said he just can't get use to the Ace 250,since he's so use to the XLT and it's usually very accurate. He said he found a lot of clad coins,including 2 nickles but couldn't tell what they were. He also couldn't believe he was finding such common coins that far down in the ground after they had already scraped the area. Then he proceeded to tell me where they are dumping the dirt at,and I checked that out tonight as well, but I didn't find the area he described. So I'm not sure if he actually knew that area or just didn't describe it well.

UPDATE: I obtained permission to search the gravel parking lot where the ring may be located. I'll start looking for it Tuesday or Wed morning and report any findings at that time.

Attachments

• Dime1.jpg
    Dime1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 541
Upvote 0

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Pennyworth said:
icegator said:
congrats on the silver. i hope the guy is not stalking you.

ice

No, I don't believe he is stalking me. I'm right in front of his house,across the street and in plain sight. But if he were stalking me, I can take care of myself most of the time. This guy is tall,but not very muscular, I think I can take him. ;)

Pull out some of that Kung-Fu -- Tie-chi -- or show him the size of your lesche?

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Congrats on your first silver. Doesn't matter what denomination or series, silver is always nice.
Go get that ring!
HH
Mark G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread