My first silver coin

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Yesterday I took my BH Pioneer 505 in the woods behind my house to do some MD'ing. I live approximately 300 - 400 yards from the roadway that Civil War troops used when maneuvering between the small town of Grahamville, and the railroad. I figured I may as well give it a try. Maybe some of the soldiers wandered into this wooded area in their journeys.

About 100 yards in, I discovered a hole in the ground that went down 5 or 6 feet. An old privy maybe? Fifty feet or so on the other side, I found a mound of dirt with old algae covered bricks scattered about the top. I ran the detector over the mound and picked up several iron reading, and one silver reading. I zeroed in on the silver reading, and dug that spot. I scooped 4 inches of dirt onto the ground beside the hole, and moved the detector over it. The silver reading was there, and I began sifting through the dirt. The coin was in the middle of the pile, and I wiped it with my fingers. The face of the coin showed the head of Mercury, and the letter LIB on the left side of the coin. Further cleaning would reveal everything but the date. The coin also had a small hole drilled through the top.

The Winged Head Liberty dime was pretty corroded on the side where the date is located, and I soaked it overnight. This morning I checked my find, and could partialy read the date. It looked to be 1930, but the last two numbers were still hard to read. I put it back into the soak and will check it again this afternoon. Once I get her cleaned up, I'll post pictures of my first silver coin find. Although she's not in the best shape, and has a hole drilled through the top, she's still my first, so she's special to me. :)

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first silver find...Mercs are always goooooooood.. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kevin Bozard

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone! That was a great feeling pulling that coin out of the ground. I didn't mention in the first post that I dug a few more items out of, and around that same hole. Mostly nails, melted glass, and pieces of brick. The mound is approximately 6 feet x 6 feet, and 2.5 feet high. I only dug on one side in an area 2 feet x 2 feet. It was getting dark and I wanted to get out of the woods so that I could clean the coin. I will be revisiting that little mound again I'm sure. Who knows what else may be in there. After all, I was still getting iron hits in the area where I dug. It may only be more nails, but I'll never know if I don't dig it! :thumbsup:

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
It seems strange that you say the coin was corroded. Silver also comes out the ground looking like silver in this area. Do other folks find that their silver is ever corroded?

OP
OP
Kevin Bozard

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sorry incajoe, I'm still new to this. The coin itself isn't corroded, but it has something on it that hard to get off. The parts I've cleaned already are nice and shiny, there's just this crud that's built up on the coin; that's what I meant. :icon_jokercolor:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Kevin!
Nice Digs. Congrats on the Merc. Still my favorite coin.

Go nice and slow around your mound. As you remove more of the iron you may find that it is masking more silver and other cool finds.
Also move away from it and see what was dropped around whatever was there.

Sounds like you have a great place hunt.

What are you soaking the coin in?

Good Luck.

Mark

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Congrats on your first silver!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mercs are my personal favorite. Finding a holed coin would be better (to me) than finding one that wasn't. That means it was maybe given as a gift, and probably was worn until it was lost. Makes it more of a unique find. Of course the only coin I wouldn't want to find holed would be a key date. I can't wait to see the pic!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the first silver, my first was a Mercury Dime too, 1943. Great feeling huh? Good Luck!
Glenn

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the 'UK'. First's of anything is what its all about. Hopefully your get some many things, your run out of first's.

OP
OP
Kevin Bozard

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
mpostma said:

Hi Mark. I really didn't know what to soak it in so I came here to research the cleaning threads. I tried hot soapy water, then baking soda, then vinegar, but nothing was cutting the gunk off of it. I took a chance (I know, probably a big one) and started soaking it in oven and grill cleaner. So far, that is all I've found that will cut the gunk. It doesn't appear to be harming the coin, so should I stay with this cleaner, or should I be using something else? This stuff is really on there good, and it's very tough to get off. Thanks for any ideas! :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin Bozard said:
mpostma said:

Hi Mark. I really didn't know what to soak it in so I came here to research the cleaning threads. I tried hot soapy water, then baking soda, then vinegar, but nothing was cutting the gunk off of it. I took a chance (I know, probably a big one) and started soaking it in oven and grill cleaner. So far, that is all I've found that will cut the gunk. It doesn't appear to be harming the coin, so should I stay with this cleaner, or should I be using something else? This stuff is really on there good, and it's very tough to get off. Thanks for any ideas! :)

lemon juice

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Where is Silverfreak?

He cleans up coins soooo nicely! Ammonia and rolling a q-tip? worcestershire? Bryce! What cuts the gunk without hurting silver?

Gosh, I really hope that gunk didn't come from an ancient privy!

Good Luck and have a great day!

Mark

OP
OP
Kevin Bozard

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
It took me long enough, but here's the 1930 Mercury that I found. There's still some gunk on it that I couldn't get off, but I may leave it as is. It's not in great shape, but at least it's silver. ;D

Attachments

• dimefront.jpg
    dimefront.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 577
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 568

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Looking at the condition and apparent texture of the coin, i actually think that it was in a fire or something.
That might explain the buildup on the coin and give reason for the stressed metal look.
My very first silver was also a merc and they just never get old!! Congrats and ATA-BOY on the first, but unfortionately you are now most likely hooked for life! You had your chance to walk away and save yourself but Noooooo. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread