My first silver finds

Wizzard

May 3, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab Quattro

Well, OK, so it was a club hunt ... Our Metal Detecting Club held it's annual Holiday hunt on Jan. 20th, 2007. I was among 50 other detectorist and was lucky to find the above. The club planted over 600 silver coins, 35 silver dollars and 100 prize tokens.

I found 2 silver Dolley, 4 half dollars, 10 quarters and 4 dimes plus one prize token.

Click on the photo for a larger view.

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sound/looks like fun to me (with bonus'es for your time/work) - can't beat that!

HH

D

dugupfinds

When we hold Rallies over here (UK), the money normally goes to charity & the searchers are more interested in the 'natural' finds, than the tokens. Were there any interesting 'natural' finds?

ghostrider1775

Dec 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI/ Grand Master Hunter CX3
Hey Wizzard if you ever want to go hunting, email me. I have a few spots in Coolidge that have been promising. WTG!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Club hunts don't usually offer "natural" finds. It's more or less a competition among club members or sometimes it is an open event. Lots of good fellowship with friends and opportunities to meet and discuss detecting with a wide range of people of like interest. There is usually some really nice prizes that are raffled as well as given away with the prize tokens that are found. These hunts can be quite challenging as you are usually alloted only a certain amount of time to hunt and there are several people competing. All in all it is a really fun event . Monty

D

dugupfinds

Monty said:
Club hunts don't usually offer "natural" finds. It's more or less a competition among club members or sometimes it is an open event. Lots of good fellowship with friends and opportunities to meet and discuss detecting with a wide range of people of like interest. There is usually some really nice prizes that are raffled as well as given away with the prize tokens that are found. These hunts can be quite challenging as you are usually alloted only a certain amount of time to hunt and there are several people competing. All in all it is a really fun event . Monty

OK so they don't 'offer' natural finds but don't you find any??

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Wizzard said:

Well, OK, so it was a club hunt ... Our Metal Detecting Club held it's annual Holiday hunt on Jan. 20th, 2007. I was among 50 other detectorist and was lucky to find the above. The club planted over 600 silver coins, 35 silver dollars and 100 prize tokens.

I found 2 silver Dolley, 4 half dollars, 10 quarters and 4 dimes plus one prize token.

I would love to have a club hunt here! What did you get for your prize token?

D

dugupfinds

cryptodave said:
Wizzard said:

I would love to have a club hunt here! What did you get for your prize token?

Normally 1 raffle ticket for each token & a chance to win various prizes. The top price is offen a mid-range detector.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The club hunts I have attended usually are held at a place that was most likely natural pastureland for eons and the only finds I know about are coins from past hunts. In several of the water hunts it wouldn't be unusual for someone to find a ring or piece of jewelry. However these items are not considered in the awarding of prizes. Prize coins or tokens will usually be painted to differentiate them from other finds or are a prize in themselves such as a silver round or silver coin. The coins or tokens are planted prior to the hunt usually from 2 to 4" deep. But there is usually a "deep" hunt where the coins or tokens are planted from 6 to 9" or deeper and this hunt is a little more challenging. Some of the hunts will be team hunts where groups of mixed sexes form a team and compete against other informal teams. The club hunts I have attended actually have groupies that travel about just to enter into the hunts and one is liable to meet someone from just about anywhere in the USA. I don't recall meeting anyone from outside the country but it is possible. Also there is usually a hunt or two for youngsters so they won't have to compete against the adults. But some of those kids are better hunters than the adults and can enter adult events if they want to. A 15 year old kicked my butt and everyone else's with a cheap detector in one of my first events! All in all it is designed mostly to be just a fun meeting of folks who are interested in metal detecting. Some dealers set up displays and much merchandise is bought and traded among the participants. Great fun! Monty

OP
OP
Wizzard

Wizzard

May 3, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab Quattro
I did find a couple of 'natural finds' so to speak. One 1978 penny and a totally rusted out pocket knife. A fellow member found a Driver's License. There were over 50 detecterists (sp) roaming all over the place so though I was quite lucky to get what I did!

My prize token was good for a MineLab hat & coffee cup with a silver quarter in it.
Picked up an 1882 silver dollar in the raffle as well.

Prize Tokens
Top two prize tokens both received gold coins - one a $2.50 coin and the other was an Austrailian coin.
Several gold nuggets, (small), were there, 15 silver dollars. tons of stuff donated by Minelab, the usual treasure books & maps, and on and on. My token number was #23 so the really good stuff was gone by the time it was my turn to pick. :(

Twas a good time - great pot luck lunch - lots of BS'ing and comradely "I found more than you did" type teasing.

There was a young teenager at the hunt that kicked everyone's butt with his Ace 250 - think he found 36 pieces of silver.

The club has held the 'hunt' at this site for 15+ years I was told. This is my first year with the club.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could well have been the same kid that kicked my rear so soundly. He and his dad and little brother travel all over to club hunts. I heard him tell someone he was getting an ACE 250. I think at the time he had a Wal-mart special. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread